Close Menu

Main Content

Waste Transportation

Transporters are individuals or entities that move waste from one site to another by highway, rail, water, or air. Depending on the type of waste being transported, the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM) may require a company to submit a notification or obtain a registration or permit. No IDEM registration is required to transport non-hazardous waste from a commercial or industrial source.

Hazardous Waste Transporter

A hazardous waste transporter must have a U.S. EPA/RCRA ID number, but it doesn’t have to be an Indiana number. Transportation of hazardous waste is regulated by the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT). Hazardous waste must be properly labeled and the transportation vehicles must be properly placarded before transportation.

Hazardous Waste Transfer Facility

A transfer facility is defined as any transportation-related facility, such as loading docks, parking areas, storage areas, and other similar areas where shipments are temporarily held. They are required to notify U.S. EPA/IDEM. Notification information can be found at Hazardous Waste Transfer Facilities Notification. A hazardous waste transporter may hold waste without a storage permit in containers at a transfer facility for 10 days or less as long as the waste is manifested and kept in U.S. DOT specification containers. If they are held for more than 10 days, the transfer facility becomes a storage facility and needs to have a permit. Storage in stationary containers is prohibited unless the transfer facility has a RCRA permit. If transporters of universal waste exceed the 10-day holding period, they need to manage the universal waste according to their handler classification.

Solid Waste Transportation

A solid waste hauler is a person who operates a vehicle in which solid waste is transported to a permitted solid waste processing facility, such as a transfer station or a final disposal facility, such as a landfill or incinerator. Solid waste haulers are defined in at IC 13-11-2-207. An IDEM registration or a permit is not required to transport non-hazardous waste from a household, or a commercial or industrial source. Please contact your local authorities or solid waste management districts to learn about the requirements and obtain a registration, permit, or a license to transport solid waste within your district. Also, check with Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) and local (county and city) standards regarding weight limits and covered loads.

Solid Waste Transfer Stations

A facility at which solid waste is transferred from a vehicle or container to another vehicle or container for transportation purposes (IC 13-11-2-235 and 329 IAC 11-2-47) are required to a have permit from IDEM.

Municipal Waste Transportation

Shipment of MSW from processing facilities and transfer stations must have a manifest (329 IAC 11-15-2).

Waste Tire Transportation

A company that transports waste tires in Indiana must obtain a registration.

Infectious Waste Transportation

Transportation of treated and untreated infectious waste must also follow the Department of Health rules found in 410 IAC 1-3. This includes labeling and placarding.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs