Close Menu

Main Content

What IDEM Regulates

Wastes in Indiana are regulated by the solid waste, hazardous waste, septage and biosolids or other waste type programs in the Office of Land Quality (OLQ). Indiana has rules that control the management of these wastes. The requirements are different for the storage, treatment/processing, and disposal depending on the waste type. Most of these activities require IDEM approval through a permit or registration.

Certain activities only have rule requirements as they do not need IDEM approval. Approved Facilities who are permitted and registered need to self-inspect their waste units and activities. Both activities needing IDEM approval and activities not needing IDEM approval are inspected by OLQ for compliance with applicable rules.

Facilities/Activities not Needing IDEM Approval, Permit, or Registration (But Still Regulated by IDEM)

The following facilities generally do not need a permit from IDEM. However, under certain circumstances these facilities may need to obtain a permit:

  • Generators (Producers) of Non-Hazardous Solid Waste that process their waste onsite
  • Generators of Hazardous Waste (depending on amount and length of storage of waste)
  • Hazardous Waste Transporters and Transfer Facilities
  • Used Oil Generators, Transporters, Handlers and Re-refineries
  • Universal Waste Generators, Transporters and Handlers
  • Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers
  • Auto Salvage Yards
  • Certain Recycling and Reuse activities exempted by rule
  • PCB and other TSCA Wastes Generators and Transporters

Animal Farms are regulated by the Confined Feeding Operations program. Please note that manure is a solid waste if not used for the intended purpose of being a fertilizer, and as such is treated as a solid waste. Anaerobic digesters using manure as a biomass needs a registration approval from OLQ.

Wastewater surface impoundments, ponds or lagoons where solid waste is conveyed through water that have permits from the Office of Water Quality, do not need an operating permit from OLQ. After stopping operation, these units must be closed according to the solid waste regulations.


At the end of the operation, a unit and/or facility will need to close by properly removing and disposing all remaining waste and decontaminating for waste in-place closure.

Most operating facilities must have a closure plan. IDEM reviews and approves the closure plan for permitted facilities and certain operating facilities. This plan must be followed when a facility ceases operation of a unit or facility.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs