Close Menu

Technical Guidance and Information

These IDEM documents and the federal resources at the bottom elaborate upon on underground storage tank (UST) regulations and related topics.

Ethanol Compatibility and Fuel Delivery

Data Quality Assurance

Independent Closure Process Guidance

The Independent Closure Process Guidance describes a self-completion and certification process that allows persons responsible for a petroleum release to complete investigation, remediation, and site closure without IDEM’s direct oversight.

Risk-Based Closure Guidance

Fact Sheets

Fact sheets on the IDEM Fact Sheets page provide concise summaries of these topics:

  • Remediation and Response:
    • Methyl Tertiary-Butyl Ether
    • Selecting an Environmental Consultant or Contractor

Nonrule Policies

Guidance on the IDEM Nonrule Policies page clarify the agency’s interpretation of environmental statutes and rules.

  • Property Containing Contaminated Aquifers/Underground Storage Tanks (Waste-0038)
  • Access to Third Party Property (Waste-0043)
  • Drilling Procedures and Monitoring Well Construction Guidelines (Waste-0053)
  • Monitored Natural Attenuation for Petroleum Contaminated Sites (Waste-0054)

Federal References

Release prevention, detection, cleanup, and other UST regulatory topics are covered on the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency websites, along with the Federal List of Hazardous Substances.