The Community Recycling Grant Program is accepting applications from August 21, 2023 - September 29, 2023. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management has announced the availability of grant funds to assist communities’ efforts to increase recycling and waste reduction. The Community Recycling Grant Program (CRGP) is authorized to provide grants by IC 13-20-22-2. Projects that can be funded under this program include education and promotion of recycling, waste reduction, organics management (including yard waste management and composting), and household hazardous waste collection and disposal.
Solid waste management districts (SWMDs), counties, municipalities, schools, and nonprofit organizations located in Indiana are eligible to apply for funding from the CRGP. Businesses, commercial operations, and for-profit organizations are not eligible for funding.
Projects should accomplish one or more of the following:
- Start or expand a recycling, source reduction, reuse, buy-recycled, or composting program.
- Offer a new service, collect a new material, and/or serve a new area through the establishment of a new permanent service.
- Improve efficiency and sustainability over current program practices through increased volumes of materials collected, and better processing of materials, cost savings, and resource conservation.
Funding and Match Requirements
Grants start at $1,000 and go up to $100,000 with a 25 percent cash match (please see the guidelines document below for specifics of match requirements).
Program and Submission Guidelines
Applicants should refer to the Community Recycling Grant Program Guidelines [PDF] for complete application requirements and submittal guidance.
Submissions for CRGP funding must include:
- Community Recycling Grant Program Application Package - State Form 56847 [Webform]
- Quotes for service and equipment
- Proof of available funding for total project cost
- Supporting documents (letters of support, partnership agreements, location maps, etc.) when applicable
Incomplete applications may not be accepted for consideration.
For more information on the CRGP please contact the IDEM Office of Program Support.
Each November, the Community Recycling Grant Program issues an annual report on program funding and awards. An archive of these reports is available for inspection: