Watershed management planning is at the heart of successful water quality restoration and protection. It is the method to understanding how to address the needs of a complex system in the most effective manner possible.
If you were to build a home, you would start with a blueprint. This would not only ensure that you remembered necessary steps, but it would also communicate your intent. A Watershed Management Plan is just that: a means to gather information in one place, outline the structure or design, and identify the resources needed to move forward.
The Indiana Watershed Planning Guide [ZIP] was developed to assist local groups in developing successful watershed plans and to establish a common approach for watershed planning throughout Indiana.
This guide is intended to steer you through the process of developing a watershed plan. Many similar documents exist; in fact, nearly every state has some version. However, this guide is written for people in Indiana by people in Indiana. It applies to the kinds of plans you can expect to be involved with in partnership with agencies that provide funding in Indiana.
This guide is not intended to supersede existing watershed management grant guidance or the requirements of specific programs. However, it is intended to provide basic information that is compatible with Indiana’s watershed grant programs.
- Indiana Watershed Planning Guide - Revised 2010 [ZIP]
- Additional Watershed Planning Resources:
- Finding the Right Partners [DOC]
- Recruitment Flyer [PDF]
- Eagle Creek WS Structure Table [DOC]
- Types of Coalitions and Collaborations [DOC]
- Ground Rules [PDF]
- Sampling Cost [PDF]
- Agency Responsibilities Matrix [XLS]
- Paired Watersheds Study Design [PDF]
- Big Walnut Creek WMP Example of Critical Area Determination [DOC]
- Example Action Registers for WMPs - Big Walnut Creek [DOC]
- Example BMP Selection & Ranking for WMPs - Big Walnut Creek [DOC]
- Example WMP Goals - Big Walnut Creek [DOC]
- GIS Links for Watershed Management Planning [DOC]
- Fundraising Readiness Check List [XLS]
- Individual Donor Development Plan [XLS]
- How to Run a Great Meeting [PDF]
- Master Corporate Solicit Letter [DOC]
- Nonpoint Source Pollution Links [DOC]
- Timeline for 2008 Committee Recruitment [PDF]
- Wanted: Perfect Coordinator [PDF]