Site Characterization Guidance
These brief technical guidance documents explain how to better organize an investigation, investigate in specific geologic environments, and investigate specific types of sources. They contain data compiled from government, academic, and industry sources.
- Use of High Resolution Site Characterization Tools [PDF]:
- This document describes the ways to select and use direct sensing tools for efficiently investigating contaminants and unconsolidated material.
- Proper Investigative Techniques for Shallow Bedrock [PDF]:
- This document describes ways to investigate contamination when bedrock is near the surface.
- Investigative Strategies for Dry Cleaner Sites [PDF]:
- This document explains the source locations and type of contaminants specifically found at drycleaners.
- Investigating Lead at Small Arms Firing Ranges [PDF]:
- This document explains how to identify potential concerns with lead at small arms firing ranges and describes ways to reduce exposure to the lead that is present at the small arms firing ranges.
- Vapor Intrusion Investigation Documentation [PDF]:
- This document provides a template for recording information about vapor intrusion investigations.
These brief technical guidance documents explain field methods for sampling.
- Micro-Purge Sampling Option [PDF]:
- This document covers a procedure to remove stagnant water from a monitoring well prior to collecting a ground water sample.
- Non-Purge Sampling Option at Petroleum Sites [PDF]:
- This document covers a procedure to collect samples from an unconfined aquifer for petroleum hydrocarbon COCs.
- Sampling Soil and Waste for Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) [PDF]:
- This document covers how to sample VOCs in soil using U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (U.S. EPA) Method 5035A.
- Sampling and Analysis of Ground Water for Metals at Remediation Sites (Waste-0057-NPD):
- This IDEM nonrule policy explains how and when to sample for metals.
- Ground Water Sampling with Peristaltic Pumps [PDF]:
- This document explains the use of a peristaltic pump to collect ground water samples.
These technical guidance documents explain the proper sampling parameters and documentation requirements for various types of remediation sites. They also list the specific chemicals found, and testing methods needed, for various types of cleanup sites. IDEM uses U.S. EPA guidance for reference.
- Manufactured Gas Plants' Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
- Metal Finishing Industries Contaminants of Concern [PDF]
Vapor Intrusion Guidance
These documents explain various U.S. EPA methods for sampling contaminated air for volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Method TO-14A [PDF]:
- This document describes a procedure for sampling and analysis of VOCs in ambient air using specially prepared canisters with subsequent analysis by gas chromatography.
- Method TO-15 [PDF]:
- This document describes sampling and analytical procedures for the determination of VOCs (listed in Title III of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990) in ambient air using specially prepared canisters with subsequent analysis by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.
- Method TO-17 [PDF]:
- This document describes a method for the determination of VOCs in ambient air using active sampling onto sorbent tubes.