Office of Land Quality (OLQ) staff created the following IDEM guidance documents to help identify cleanup methods, technologies, or other tactics to use at contaminated sites in Indiana.
- Engineering Controls:
- This webpage provides guidance on three physical methods of reducing exposure to residual contamination.
- Institutional Controls:
- This webpage details legal or administrative measures that minimize the potential for human exposure to contamination and protect the environment by restricting property activity, use, or access when risk-based cleanups result in residual contamination being left on-site or when site cleanup has not yet occurred.
- Addressing Methane at Anaerobic Bioremediation Sites [PDF]:
- This document discusses the issue of appropriate methane monitoring to avoid explosive hazards.
- Bioremediation: A General Outline [PDF]:
- This document explains the use of naturally occurring microbes and other microbial additives in soil to degrade or remove contaminants.
- In Situ Injection Strategies [PDF]:
- This document evaluates injecting types of in-situ amendments into groundwater to break down organic contamination.
- In-Situ Thermal Remediation [PDF]:
- This document is about the use of heat to facilitate faster and more complete remediation of organic contamination in soils and ground water.
- Mobile Vacuum Extraction Remediation Systems [PDF]:
- This document evaluates the use of mobile vacuum systems to extract free product, ground water, and subsurface vapors from monitoring and recovery wells.
- Vapor Intrusion:
- This webpage covers vapor intrusion and how to determine if it is a problem, how to correct it, and where to find additional information and guidance.
- Vapor Mitigation Systems [PDF]:
- This document describes technologies that may reduce air concentrations or cut off completed vapor intrusion pathways.
- Vapor Remedy Selection and Implementation [PDF]:
- This document provides guidance for evaluation and implementation of remedies at potential vapor intrusion sites.
- Attenuation Factors [PDF]:
- This document discusses the estimated values used to predict if chemical vapors will pass through barriers into indoor spaces.
- Vapor Intrusion Investigation Documentation [PDF]:
- This document provides a template for recording information about vapor intrusion investigations.