The Air Programs Branch within the Indiana Department of Environmental Management’s (IDEM's) Office of Air Quality carries out several activities and services for the implementation of National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for six common air pollutants known as criteria pollutants, in accordance with the federal Clean Air Act:
- Air Quality Action Days, SmogWatch, and AirNow.
- Emissions reporting data.
- Indiana's State Implementation Plan (SIP), which describes how the state will implement, maintain and enforce the NAAQS and includes:
- Attainment demonstrations to achieve the NAAQS in designated nonattainment areas, as well as Requests for Redesignation and Maintenance Plans for nonattainment areas that meet requirements.
- Infrastructure SIPs detailing state authority and resources.
- Regional Haze SIP concerning visibility in federally designated areas.
- Transportation conformity documents.
- Indiana Volkswagen Environmental Mitigation Trust Program.
- Modeling and technical support for air quality planning and permitting.
- Programs including DieselWise, the Great Lakes Air Deposition (GLAD) program, and the Northwest Indiana Vehicle Emissions Testing program.
- Studies and risk assessments are also conducted relating to air toxics.
Please contact the Air Programs Branch with questions or comments about NAAQS implementation in Indiana.