We are excited to announce that IDEM is participating in the U.S. EPA's Climate Pollution Reduction Grant (CPRG) Program and was awarded a $3 million planning grant in July 2023. The CPRG provides federal funding to state governments, municipalities, tribes, and territories to plan and implement strategies for reducing greenhouse gas emissions and other harmful air pollutants.
Through this program, IDEM aims to promote sustainability, enhance our state's resiliency to environmental challenges, and safeguard our natural resources. IDEM will use the $3 million planning funds to conduct a greenhouse gas emissions inventory and develop a Priority Climate Action Plan, which is due to U.S. EPA in March 2024.
As part of our planning efforts, IDEM will host public meetings across the state starting in fall 2023. This will help us solicit feedback from a wide variety of stakeholders and industries to help shape Indiana’s plan. The meeting dates and locations are posted below.
Stay informed about our progress, upcoming sustainability initiatives, and opportunities to contribute by signing up for our periodic email updates. Together, we can build a more sustainable and resilient future, ensuring that our state remains a great place to live, work, and play for generations to come.
This planning grant will include three key deliverables: a short-term plan, long-term plan, and status report at the end of the 4-year planning period. The Indiana Priority Climate Action Plan (PCAP) will include steps for short-term implementation. The Comprehensive Climate Action Plan (CCAP) will be a long-term strategy for pollution reduction and mitigation. IDEM is dedicated to the equitable distribution of pollution reduction measures and will ensure that impacted communities and other stakeholders have a voice in the process of this grant. Community engagement is important to IDEM and this project.
With this grant, IDEM hopes to produce outcomes that include an updated greenhouse gas inventory for Indiana, identification of highly impacted areas, identification of potential reduction measures, and enhanced community engagement.
Timeline for Key Action Items
- July 2023 – EPA awarded grant money to Indiana
- March 1, 2024 – Priority Climate Action Plan (PCAP) due to EPA
- April 2024 – Implementation Grant application due to EPA
- Summer/Fall 2025 – Comprehensive Climate Action Plan (CCAP) due to EPA
- Summer/Fall 2027 – Status Report due to EPA
Community Engagement Public Meetings*
All meetings are in local time. The agenda and details for viewing the meeting by livestream for each event will be added when available.
- PowerPoint Indianapolis CPRG Meeting [PPTX]
- PowerPoint Statewide CPRG Meeting [PPTX] (all other locations), Includes link for statewide survey in English and Spanish.
- November 8, 2023, at 6:00 p.m. (ET)
Ferdinand Branch Public Library, Community Room, 112 E 16th St, Ferdinand, IN 47532
- Join the virtual meeting: https://www.zoomgov.com/j/1604549792?pwd=Ync4NU11eUhmaVJBUGtyeWNqekU1QT09
Dial by your location
* +1 669 254 5252 US (San Jose)
* +1 646 828 7666 US (New York)
* +1 646 964 1167 US (US Spanish Line)
* +1 551 285 1373 US (New Jersey)
* +1 669 216 1590 US (San Jose)
* +1 415 449 4000 US (US Spanish Line)
* 833 435 1820 US Toll-free
* 833 568 8864 US Toll-free
Meeting ID: 160 454 9792
* Individuals requiring reasonable accommodations for participation in these events should contact the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, Americans with Disabilities Act coordinator at:
Attn: ADA Coordinator Indiana Department of Environmental Management
100 N. Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204
or contact (317) 233-1785 (Voice), email@example.com (Email)
Speech and hearing-impaired callers may contact the agency via the Indiana Relay Service (711) or 1-800-743-3333.
Please provide a minimum of 72 hours notification.
- Please fill out the State of Indiana CPRG survey to indicate your priorities for the Climate Pollution Reduction Grant - deadline 11/29/2023
- Questions or comments can be directed to IDEM staff by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Draft Action List for Public Comment
- For further information on the grant itself, please visit Climate Pollution Reduction Grants | US EPA.