Submitting an air permit application to IDEM’s Office of Air Quality (OAQ) is the first step in obtaining approval for your source. Failing to apply for a required approval, or operating without the correct type of air permit or approval, are violations. Small, exempt businesses may voluntarily apply for a Letter of Exemption. Please contact OAQ’s Air Permits Branch concerning:
- Requirements for a new source, or the modification or expansion of an existing facility.
- Alternatives for various operating scenarios.
- Questions about the application process.
- Submitting an application packet. By talking with OAQ permits staff prior to submitting a packet, applicants can help ensure they are submitting a complete application with all of the required forms and information.
- Pre-application meetings - A pre-application meeting with OAQ permits staff may be recommended in some cases.
- Questions about an existing permit.
- Pending and issued permits
- Guidance materials and tools
- IDEM’s Compliance and Technical Assistance Program (CTAP) can provide free and confidential compliance assistance and assistance in completing air permit application forms. CTAP is a useful resource for all applicants, but particularly for small businesses