WIC Supports Breastfeeding
We have the resources to help you meet your breastfeeding goals. All WIC services are free and available to any mother/baby in the WIC program. These services include:
- Exclusively breastfeeding moms receive the largest food package. We feed moms to feed their babies.
- Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and Peer Counselors (some areas have Spanish & Burmese speaking Peer Counselors).
- Breastfeeding assessment, weight checks and breastfeeding classes.
- Assessment of breast pump needs and personalized pump/flange fitting. Breastfeeding accessories are available as needed.
- Evidence-based breastfeeding education and resources.
- Indiana WIC 2018 Breastfeeding Report
- Indiana WIC 2019 Breastfeeding Report
- Indiana WIC 2020 Breastfeeding Report
Breastfeeding Laws in Indiana
Public Law: “Notwithstanding any other law, a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere the woman has the right to be.”
Source: IC 16-35-6-1
Workplace Pumping Laws: “Indiana codes §5-10-6-2 and §22-2-14-2 (2008) provide that state and political subdivisions shall provide for reasonable paid breaks for an employee to express breast milk for her infant, make reasonable efforts to provide a room or other location, other than a toilet stall, where the employee can express breast milk in private and make reasonable efforts to provide for a refrigerator to keep breast milk that has been expressed. The law also provides that employers with more than 25 employees must provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, where an employee can express the employee’s breast milk in private and if possible to provide a refrigerator for storing breast milk that has been expressed.”
For more information or to file a complaint,
Peer Counselor Program
A WIC Peer Counselor is a WIC mother that supports other WIC clients with breastfeeding. WIC peer counselors have valuable experience breastfeeding their own babies and they know what it’s like being a new mom. They are here to support and encourage other WIC mothers to meet their breastfeeding goals. If you would like to get in contact with a Peer Counselor you can locate your Local Clinic by county here. They are available in the WIC clinics, over the phone or by text.
Breast Pump Cleaning
- CDC - How to clean your breast pump
- Medela - Drops/How to clean and sanitize your breast pump parts
- Hygeia - How to clean your Hygeia breast pump
- Ameda - How to clean breast pumping products/Ameda
WIC Breastfeeding Support
CDC Breastfeeding Information: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/
Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: https://www.bfmed.org/
Breastfeeding Support Update
USDA established the WIC Loving Support Award of Excellence in 2014 to recognize local WIC agencies that have provided exemplary breastfeeding promotion and support activities. The intent is to provide models and motivate other local agencies to strengthen their breastfeeding promotion and support activities and ultimately increase breastfeeding initiation, exclusivity, and duration rates among WIC participants. The award is given at three levels of performance that build on one another: Gold, Gold Premiere, and Gold Elite.
This approach recognizes three groups of agencies that include those that are demonstrating model practices, as well as those who are at varying stages of implementing exemplary breastfeeding promotion and support practices. To receive the Gold Award, local WIC agencies must complete an application that evaluates the policies and procedures surrounding breastfeeding promotion and support, the Breastfeeding Peer Counselor program, and partnerships with local hospitals and other organizations working toward similar breastfeeding goals. The Gold Premiere and Gold Elite Awards require an additional application to be completed, and local agencies must also have a fully Breastfeeding category of at least 15% for two consecutive years for the Premiere and at least 40% for the Elite.
Indiana WIC local agencies have been hard at work over the past 5 years to put these best practices in place for breastfeeding promotion and support, and several agencies have been recognized for achieving these awards.
- Interlocal Community Action Program (2022)
- IU Health Bloomington (2019)
- Johnson County (2021)
- Johnson Nichols (2022)
- Neighborhood Health Clinics (2020)
- St. Joseph County (2021)
- Tippecanoe County (2020)
- Whitley County (2020) *Merged into another agency
- Arc of Greater Boone County (2021)
- Community Action Program of Western Indiana (2020)
- Community & Family Services (2020)
- Elkhart County (2019)
- Interlocal Community Action Program (2022 Premiere, 2019 Gold)
- IU Health Bloomington (2019)
- IU Health Morgan County (2020)
- Johnson County (2021 Premiere, 2019 Gold)
- Johnson Nichols Health Clinic (2022 Premiere, 2021 Gold)
- Marion County (2021, 2017)
- Neighborhood Health Clinics (2020 Premiere, 2018 Gold)
- New Hope Services (2019)
- Northwest Indiana Community Action Corporation (2020)
- Open Door Health Services (2021)
- Pace Community Action Agency (2021) *Merged with another agency
- St. Joseph County (2021 Premiere, 2020 Gold)
- Tippecanoe County (2020)
- Western Indiana Community Action Agency (2020)
- Whitley County (Premiere 2020, Gold 2019) *Merged into another agency
Indiana WIC continues to support communication, messaging and resources focused on breastfeeding. Local WIC agencies and staff have received information on important things to consider as they provide breastfeeding support. Please contact your local WIC clinic directly for additional details or questions about services in your area. Some useful resources are below:
- Office on Women's Health Helpline: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EST, M-F, 1-800-994-9662
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Hotline/ Disaster Distress: 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746. (TTY 1-800-846-8517)
- International Breastfeeding Helplines--KellyMom
- Postpartum Support International Helpline
- La Leche League Relactation
- Infant feeding in Emergency Situations
- KellyMom Relactation
Other Breastfeeding Resources
Indiana Department of Health
The Indiana Department of Health serves to promote, protect and improve the health and safety of all Hoosiers.
Maternal and Child Health Services
2 North Meridian St., 8-C
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Web site: www.in.gov/isdh/19571.htm
The Milk Bank
8020 Castleway Drive
Indianapolis, IN 46250
Liv App - Download Liv and take charge of your health. Download for free on iTunes or Google Play by searching “Liv pregnancy app”. Liv is also available online at www.askliv.com.
- Use interactive features like the calendar, due date calculator and baby weight calculator.
- Get appointment reminders.
- Find dozens of articles, checklists and tips.
- Easily locate doctors, hospitals and other services near you.