WIC Supports Breastfeeding
We have the resources to help you meet your breastfeeding goals. All WIC services are free and available to any mother/baby on the WIC program. These services include:
- Exclusively breastfeeding moms receive the largest food package. We feed moms to feed their babies.
- Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and Peer Counselors (some areas have Spanish & Burmese speaking Peer Counselors).
- Breastfeeding assessment, weight checks and breastfeeding classes.
- Assessment of breast pump needs and personalized pump/flange fitting. Breastfeeding accessories are available as needed.
- Evidence-based breastfeeding education and resources.
- Indiana WIC 2018 Breastfeeding Report
- Indiana WIC 2019 Breastfeeding Report
Breastfeeding Laws in Indiana
Public Law: “Not withstanding any other law, a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere the woman has the right to be.”
Source: IC 16-35-6-1
Workplace Pumping Laws: “Indiana codes §5-10-6-2 and §22-2-14-2 (2008) provide that state and political subdivisions shall provide for reasonable paid breaks for an employee to express breast milk for her infant, make reasonable efforts to provide a room or other location, other than a toilet stall, where the employee can express breastmilk in private and make reasonable efforts to provide for a refrigerator to keep breast milk that has been expressed. The law also provides that employers with more than 25 employees must provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, where an employee can express the employee’s breast milk in private and if possible to provide a refrigerator for storing breast milk that has been expressed.”
For more information or to file a complaint,
Peer Counselor Program
A WIC Peer Counselor is a WIC mother that supports other WIC clients with breastfeeding. WIC peer counselors have valuable experience breastfeeding their own baby and they know what it’s like being a new mom. They are here to support and encourage other WIC mothers to meet their breastfeeding goals. If you would like to get in contact with a Peer Counselor you can locate your Local Clinic by county Here. They are available in the WIC clinics, over the phone or by text.
Breast Pump Cleaning
- CDC - How to clean your breast pump
- Medela - Drops/How to clean and sanitize your breast pump parts
- Hygeia - How to clean your Hygeia breast pump
- Ameda - How to clean breast pumping products/Ameda
WIC Breastfeeding Support
CDC Breastfeeding Information: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/
Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: https://www.bfmed.org/
Other Breastfeeding Resources
Indiana State Department of Health
The Indiana State Department of Health serves to promote, protect, and provide for the public health of people in Indiana.
Maternal and Child Health Services
2 North Meridian St., 8-C
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Web site: www.in.gov/isdh/19571.htm
Liv App - Download Liv and take charge of your health. Get her for free on iTunes or Google Play by searching “Liv pregnancy app”. She is also available online at www.askliv.com.
- Use interactive features like the calendar, due date calculator and baby weight calculator.
- Get appointment reminders.
- Find dozens of articles, check lists and how-tos.
- Easily locate doctors, hospitals and other services near you.