WIC Supports Breastfeeding
We have the resources to help you meet your breastfeeding goals. All WIC services are free and available to any mother/baby in the WIC program. These services include:
- Exclusively breastfeeding moms receive the largest food package. We feed moms to feed their babies.
- Board Certified Lactation Consultants (IBCLC) and Peer Counselors (some areas have Spanish & Burmese speaking Peer Counselors).
- Breastfeeding assessment, weight checks and breastfeeding classes.
- Assessment of breast pump needs and personalized pump/flange fitting. Breastfeeding accessories are available as needed.
- Evidence-based breastfeeding education and resources.
- Indiana WIC 2018 Breastfeeding Report
- Indiana WIC 2019 Breastfeeding Report
- Indiana WIC 2020 Breastfeeding Report
Breastfeeding Laws in Indiana
Public Law: “Notwithstanding any other law, a woman may breastfeed her child anywhere the woman has the right to be.”
Source: IC 16-35-6-1
Workplace Pumping Laws: “Indiana codes §5-10-6-2 and §22-2-14-2 (2008) provide that state and political subdivisions shall provide for reasonable paid breaks for an employee to express breast milk for her infant, make reasonable efforts to provide a room or other location, other than a toilet stall, where the employee can express breast milk in private and make reasonable efforts to provide for a refrigerator to keep breast milk that has been expressed. The law also provides that employers with more than 25 employees must provide a private location, other than a toilet stall, where an employee can express the employee’s breast milk in private and if possible to provide a refrigerator for storing breast milk that has been expressed.”
For more information or to file a complaint,
Peer Counselor Program
A WIC Peer Counselor is a WIC mother that supports other WIC clients with breastfeeding. WIC peer counselors have valuable experience breastfeeding their own babies and they know what it’s like being a new mom. They are here to support and encourage other WIC mothers to meet their breastfeeding goals. If you would like to get in contact with a Peer Counselor you can locate your Local Clinic by county here. They are available in the WIC clinics, over the phone or by text.
Breast Pump Cleaning
- CDC - How to clean your breast pump
- Medela - Drops/How to clean and sanitize your breast pump parts
- Hygeia - How to clean your Hygeia breast pump
- Ameda - How to clean breast pumping products/Ameda
WIC Breastfeeding Support
CDC Breastfeeding Information: http://www.cdc.gov/breastfeeding/
Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine: https://www.bfmed.org/
Other Breastfeeding Resources
Indiana Department of Health
The Indiana Department of Health serves to promote, protect and improve the health and safety of all Hoosiers.
Maternal and Child Health Services
2 North Meridian St., 8-C
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Web site: www.in.gov/isdh/19571.htm
The Milk Bank
5060 E. 62nd St. Suite 128
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Liv App - Download Liv and take charge of your health. Download for free on iTunes or Google Play by searching “Liv pregnancy app”. Liv is also available online at www.askliv.com.
- Use interactive features like the calendar, due date calculator and baby weight calculator.
- Get appointment reminders.
- Find dozens of articles, checklists and tips.
- Easily locate doctors, hospitals and other services near you.