Language Translation
  Close Menu

Corrections & Amendments

Requirements to correct or amend a vital record vary widely depending on the requested change.

To make sure that the proper procedure is followed for the correction you request, please contact Vital Records at (317) 233-2700, and you will be directed to the appropriate personnel.

Corrections and amendments to birth certificates may be made to a variety of fields on the certificate. Documentary evidence required for the correction or amendment varies depending on the requested change and the time since the creation of the original record.

Simple corrections may be made to an individual’s own birth record, or their minor child’s if no other correction or court order has ever been filed against the record. Paternity cannot be established, and surnames cannot be changed, with a simple correction. See the Paternity Affidavit tab for information about establishing paternity.

Simple corrections include minor spelling changes, minor date of birth changes (day only), or place of birth of parents; documentary evidence is required to verify the change requested. Documents submitted must be over ten (10) years old to be accepted as evidence. Documents named do not constitute a complete list of acceptable documents; however, these are the types of documents most frequently used for simple corrections.

  • Court Order – must show the case number, date ordered, and judge’s signature and must include a statement directing IDOH to change the birth record
  • School Records – must show the name and location of the school and may be obtained from County Superintendent or School Office
  • Life Insurance Policies – application page must show the name of the insurance company, policy number, and date of issue
  • Application for Marriage License – available from County Clerk of the county in which the license was issued
  • Voter’s Registration – may be obtained from the County Clerk of the county in which the voter is registered
  • Military Discharge Papers – DD-214 or draft registration card
  • Census Record – copies must be obtained from the Bureau of Census and are available from 1880 to 1960 (except 1890)
  • Employment Records – must show place of employment and date the record was created and may be obtained from the employer’s Personnel Office
  • Records of Trade, Professional or Fraternal Organization – usually available from the organization’s secretary
  • Child’s Birth Record – copies may be obtained from the Indiana Department of Health or the local health department where the child was born
  • Hospital Record of Birth – may be obtained from the Medical Records Office in the hospital where the delivery occurred
  • Baptismal Certificate – may be obtained from the church where the baptism occurred

To correct or amend a birth certificate, please call (317) 233-2700.

A Paternity Affidavit may be filed with the father to allow the addition of the father’s name to the birth record and to give the child an agreed-upon last name. A Paternity Affidavit can be completed at the hospital within 72 hours of the birth, or at the local health department in the jurisdiction where the child was born within the first 18 years of the child’s life.

The required forms are available at both the hospital and the local health department, and both the father and mother are required to sign the form before a Notary Public. Identification and fees vary by health department, so they should be contacted for specific information. A listing of local health departments in Indiana is available on the Local Health Department Contacts page.

For more information about establishing paternity with a Paternity Affidavit, review the *Establishing Paternity Brochure or *Estableciendo Paternidad Folleto developed by the Department of Child Services, in conjunction with Vital Records.

A search of filed Paternity Affidavits may be conducted by completing and submitting an Application for Search of Paternity Affidavit (State Form 54763).

For questions or more information about filing a Paternity Affidavit or conducting a search, please contact Vital Records at (317) 233-2700.

To make changes to a death certificate, you will need to contact the funeral director who filed the original certificate to request the necessary changes.

The funeral director must make the changes, sign, and refile the amended certificate. The medical certifier must also sign the amended certificate. If the original signatures cannot be obtained, a court order is required.