Volatile Organic Compounds (Indoor Air)
There are 97 VOCs listed as hazardous air pollutants in Title III of the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1990. This test will positively identify benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene. It can tentatively identify many other VOCs.
- Local Health Departments
- IDOH Environmental Health
- Emergency Response
No Charge for Investigations by IDOH, Local Health Departments, IDEM or other state agencies and institutions
1 charcoal tube of sampled air.
Coconut shell charcoal tube.
Personal sampling pump, MSA Model G or equivalent, calibrated at 1-2 liters per minute.
- Record total sampling volume or sampling time and pump rate for total volume to be calculated.
- A minimum air volume of 30 liters is required (100 liters is recommended).
- A blank sample should be submitted with every set of samples.
- Mark each tube and cover ends with the red caps provided.
- Make sure to note the total air volume sampled.
Place tubes in plastic bag. Hand deliver or mail to IDOH labs. Be careful because the charcoal tubes are glass and could break during shipment if mailed.
Indiana Department of Health
550 W. 16th Street, Suite B
Indianapolis, In 46202
Results will be e-mailed to the submitter within 30 business days.