A family with an income, before taxes, no greater than 250% of the federal poverty level may be eligible for the program. The financial level changes every year. For example, in 2015, a family of four could qualify with a gross income of up to $60,625.
Children’s Special Health Care Services (CSHCS) is a program to help Indiana children with severe chronic medical conditions which:
- Have lasted (or are expected to last) at least two years;
- Will produce disability, disfigurement, or limits the child’s ability to function;
- Requires special diet or devices; or
- Without treatment would produce a chronic disabling physical condition.
Some of the physical conditions which may qualify a child for services from CSHCS include:
- Asthma-Severe, 2 medications daily
- Cerebral Palsy
- Chronic Anemia (e.g. Sickle Cell)
- Chromosomal Disorders
- Chronic Pulmonary Disease
- Cleft Lip and/or Palate
- Congenital or Acquired Developmental Deformities
- Congenital Heart Disease or Arrhythmias
- Cystic Fibrosis (life time medical eligibility)
- Endocrine Deficiencies (e.g. Diabetics)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Inborn Errors of Metabolism (e.g. PKU)
- Myelodysplasia or Spinal cord Dysfunction (e.g. Spina Bifida)
- Neuromuscular Dysfunction
- Oncologic Disorders (e.g. Cancer)
- Profound Bilateral Hearing Loss
- Renal Disease
- Seizure Disorder
- Severe Hemophilia
What services are available?
For eligible applicants, services may include:
- Diagnostic evaluations
- Comprehensive well child and sick child care
- Specialty care and other services related to the eligible medical conditions
- Prescription drugs
- Routine dental care
- Community referrals and information
- Travel reimbursement
How Do You Apply?
To complete the application, you'll need these documents:
- Your child's birth certificate
- Proof of residence (rent or property payment receipt, voter's registration, driver's license, last year's federal income tax return, or city directory listing)
- Health insurance information
- Proof for all household members' income (three consecutive current paycheck stubs or recent federal income tax forms)
Important items to remember:
- When requesting prior authorization, please make sure that the National Provider Identifier (NPI) number you give to the PA nurse is the same NPI number you will use when you submit a claim for payment. The NPI number that appears on the prior authorization must match the NPI number that is in the pay-to box (field) on the claim. If these numbers do not match, your claim may be denied.
- All primary insurance policies must be followed before CSHCS will consider payment.
- All insurance must be used first
- All equipment, supplies, therapy, hospitalizations, and emergency room visits must be directly related to the eligible medical condition and must be authorized.
- Medical and financial eligibility will be reevaluated annually.
CSHCS Eligibility Section at 1-317-233-1351 or 1-800-475-1355, Option 2. Contact regarding enrollment
Care Coordination Section at 1-317-233-1351 or 1-800-475-1355, Option 6, or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact regarding care coordination, referrals or other information.