Nursing Home Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Project Center
Welcome to the Indiana Department of Health (IDOH) Nursing Home Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Project Center. This site is intended to provide information about the Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Fund and provide links to CMP funded projects.
The CMP Fund was created in 1996 by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as a means of supporting healthcare quality improvements in long term care. Indiana’s Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Fund is authorized under Indiana Code (IC) 16-28-12 (1993) and is a dedicated fund administered by the Indiana Department of Health. The CMP Fund contributes to the IDOH’s mission of improving healthcare quality for Hoosiers.
In its role as the State Survey Agency for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the IDOH conducts periodic federal certification surveys of nursing homes. Nursing homes not in compliance with federal regulations may be assessed a civil money penalty by CMS. A portion of the penalty is returned to the State to promote improved health and safety of nursing home residents in certified facilities.
News and Announcements
Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment Application – In-Person Visitation Aids – Portable Fans and Portable Room Air Cleaners
On 2/2/2022, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) issued a revised FAQ guidance for Nursing Home Visitation – COVID-19 in Memorandum QSO-20-39-NH Revised. CMS clarified a facility may request the use of Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment funds to purchase portable fans and portable room air cleaners with high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA, H-13 or 14) filters to increase or improve air quality. A maximum use of $3,000 per facility including shipping costs may be requested. Expenses incurred on or after the release of Memorandum QSO-20-39-NH FAQ Revised Feb. 2, 2022 are eligible for reimbursement.
CMS has developed this application template for requests for the use of Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment funds to provide nursing homes with in-person visitation aids. Applicants must submit applications to INCMP@isdh.in.gov.
- Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment Application Template Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) In-Person Visitation Aids Request Instructions
- CMP Application for In-Person Visitation Aid Requests Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The deadline to submit CMP applications for in-person visitation aids is 12/30/2022.
Current Grant Opportunities
The IDOH periodically releases grant opportunities for CMP funds. The IDOH posts Requests for Grant Applications on this page.
Applications for CMP funds are not currently being accepted.
| Indiana Department of Health|
Program Performance & Development
2 North Meridian Street, 4 Selig
Indianapolis, IN 46204
|Director of Program Performance & Development|
|(317) 233-1325 [IDOH Main Switchboard]||
(317) 233-7621 [Administrative Assistant]
CMP Funded Projects
- Overview of IDOH CMP Fund: This document provides an overview of the Indiana CMP Fund to include program history, goals, description, project development process, and funding process.
- 2022 Indiana Civil Money Penalty State Plan
- 2022 Indiana Civil Money Penalty State Plan CMS Approval
- 2020 Civil Money Penalty Project Tracker
- 2021 Civil Money Penalty Project Tracker
- Indiana Leadership Conferences
- List of CMP Funded Projects
CMS Quality, Safety, and Oversight Letters
CMS periodically issues Quality, Safety, and Oversight (QSO) letters (formerly "Survey and Certification" (SC) letters) that are intended to provide guidance on federal regulations and policies. The Quality, Safety, and Oversight letters are available on the CMS web site.
Below are links to CMS Survey and Certification Letters related to the CMP Fund.
- SC 14-30-NH: Grant Solicitation for the Reinvestment of Federal Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Funds to Benefit Nursing Home Residents – May 16, 2014
- SC 13-57-NH: Escrow and Independent Informal Dispute Resolution (Independent IDR) Process for Nursing Homes – Applicable to All Civil Money Penalties (CMPs) – August 30, 2013
- SC 12-13-NH: Use of Federally Imposed Civil Money Penalty (CMP) funds by States – December 16, 2011 [Update Supersedes SC 11-42-NH; SC 09-44; SC 02-42]
- SC 11-42-NH: Use of Civil Money Penalty (CP) Funds by States – September 30, 2011 [Superseded by SC 12-13-NH]
- SC 11-16-NH: Publication of Final Rule “Civil Money Penalties for Nursing Homes Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) – 2435-F” – March 18, 2011
- SC 11-12-NH: Relationship Between Civil Money Penalty Funds Paid by Nursing Homes and the Money Follows the Person Demonstration - March 11, 2011
- SC 09-44: Use of Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Funds by States and Reporting of CMP Funds Returned to the State – June 19, 2009 [Superseded by SC 12-13-NH]
- SC 02-42: Use of Civil Money Penalty (CMP) funds by States – August 8, 2002 [Superseded by SC 12-13-NH]
- QSOG Admin 18-15-NH: Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment State Plans
Rules and Regulations
- State Statute: Indiana Code (IC) 16-28-12 (1993)
- Federal Law: United States Social Security Act, 42 U.S.C. § 1396r(h)(2)(A)(ii) (1987)
- CMS Regulations: 42 CFR § 488.431 – 488.442
- CMS State Operations Manual (SOM): SOM § 7535 Use of Civil Money Penalty Funds