Agency Main Banner Content
Agency Sub Banners
We Change Lives by Changing Systems
The Indiana Governor’s Council for People with Disabilities (GCPD) improves the lives of people with developmental and other disabilities in Indiana by strategically funding grants, influencing public policy, and training people with disabilities and their family members to more effectively communicate and advocate for themselves and their communities. GCPD works to ensure that people with disabilities can live independent and productive lives in the community with the supports and services that they need to maximize their potential. The following is a snapshot of just some of the work that GCPD has done in the past five years:
GCPD awarded over $5 Million dollars grants and contracts and leveraged an additional $4.25 Million dollars in non-federal funds, including projects that:
- Increase the availability of accessible housing in Indiana
- Increase employment opportunities for people with disabilities
- Improve transportation coordination and access
- Empower people with disabilities to protect themselves from abuse, neglect, and exploitation
- Registered 11,022 individuals with disabilities to vote
- Recruited 28,867 individuals with disabilities to join Indiana’s statewide disability advocacy coalition
Over 130 policies and programs were created or improved through Council activities and collaborations, including policies that:
- Provided greater and safer access to the community for people with disabilities through the adoption of municipal ordinances and regulations
- Helped open the doors for individuals with developmental disabilities to attend colleges and universities around the state
- Assisted with the statewide adoption of “Employment First” which makes integrated community employment at competitive wages as the first and preferred outcome for all people with disabilities
Nearly 21,000 individuals were trained to enhance their leadership skills, increase their knowledge, and more effectively communicate with policymakers.
- People with disabilities and families are members of boards and leadership coalitions and remain active in grassroots advocacy since receiving training
- In the words of one recent trainee: “For me, this has been a life changing experience. I now feel that I CAN be the change I want to see in the world.”
Applications Now Being Accepted for 2019 Hoosier Leadership Institute
This intensive, week-long Leadership Institute, offered by the Indiana Governor's Council for People with Disabilities and the National Leadership Consortium on Developmental Disabilities, will be held May 19-24, 2019 in Muncie.
A select group of future leaders convene with a renowned faculty of national experts on progressive supports for people with disabilities. Participants explore leadership in organizations that provide, advocate for, or fund community-based services and supports for people with intellectual/developmental disabilities and their families.
To learn more or apply, click here.
The Governor's Council for People with Disabilities is Hosting its 2019 Conference November 17-19, 2019
We are very excited to announce that the 2019 Indiana Conference on Disability will be November 17-19, 2019. This year's conference will be held at the Downtown Indianapolis Marriott. More details coming soon, but mark your calendars now!
View the Council's "It's My Life" publication
This year, as part of Indiana's Disability Awareness Month celebration, the Council created a new 8-page publication that was distributed in newspapers throughout the state.
Click here to view the publication online.