Establishing a Miller trust
For individuals residing in nursing homes or who are receiving the home- and community-based services under a Medicaid waiver, the applicable income standard is applied. This standard is updated on an annual basis and the most current information can be found at in the Medicaid Eligibility Policy Manual under section 3010.20.15.
Effective annually the current Special Income Level changes, based on Medicaid Eligibility Policy Manual section 3010.20.15, for individuals who exceed this amount will no longer be eligible for Medicaid unless the individual has a valid Miller trust.
- Detailed instructions for establishing a Miller trust
- Instructions for establishing a Miller trust (short version)
- Qualified income trust Miller trust template
- Estimated Miller trusts needed per county
- Information on establishing a Miller trust for banks
- Miller trust Requirement and Resources for Nursing Facilities
- Additional FAQs on Miller trust
If you think you need a Miller trust in order to stay eligible for Medicaid, you may want to contact an attorney for advice on how to establish a Miller trust.