Governor Mike Pence created the Governor’s Health Workforce Council, which is charged with coordinating health workforce-related policies, programs, and initiatives within Indiana in order to reduce cost, improve access, and enhance quality within Indiana’s health system. The Council is also focused on developing data-driven health workforce policies to grow Indiana's well-trained health workforce.
Beginning in July 2014, the Governor’s Office worked with the Bowen Center for Health Workforce Research and Policy in the Department of Family Medicine at IU School of Medicine on a project sponsored by the National Governor’s Association (NGA) to help address health care provider shortages in Indiana. The goal of the project was to identify and develop a long-term strategy to ensure that Indiana has an accessible, well-trained, and flexible health workforce that is able to adapt to the ever-changing and growing needs of Hoosiers. At the conclusion of the NGA project, it was recommended that the state of Indiana establish an advisory council for the purpose of coordinating health workforce policy efforts in Indiana and establish a formal partnership for data exchange with the Bowen Center for Health Workforce Research and Policy.
Tuesday, December 3, 2019
- 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM
- Location Indiana Government Center South, Conference Room C
The Council brings together state agencies, legislators, health care experts and industry leaders. It includes members from both the public and private sector, including representatives from the Governor’s office and designees from the Department of Workforce Development, Senate Health and Provider Services Committee, House Public Health Committee, Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, Indiana Family and Social Services Administration, Indiana State Department of Health, Indiana Department of Education, Indiana Commission on Higher Education, Bowen Center for Health Workforce Research and Policy, Anthem, Indiana Hospital Association, Indiana Rural Health Association and Indiana Primary Care Association.
- Fred Payne (Chair) - Indiana Department of Workforce Development
- Dr. Kristina Box - Indiana State Department of Health
- Ben Carter - Department of Education
- Sen. Ed Charbonneau - Senate Health and Provider Services Committee
- Debbie Frye - Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
- Logan Harrison - Anthem
- Don Kelso - Indiana Rural Health Association
- Rep. Cindy Kirchhofer - House Public Health Committee
- Dr. Hannah Maxey - Bowen Center for Health Workforce Research and Policy
- Jim McClelland - Governor's Office - Commission to Combat Drug Abuse
- Phil Morphew - Indiana Primary Health Care Association
- Dr. Ken Sauer - Indiana Commission for Higher Education
- Brian Tabor - Indiana Hospital Association
- Dr. Jennifer Walthall - Indiana Family & Social Services Administration