Some counties require a tax on the rental of rooms and accommodations, for periods less than 30 days, in addition to the state sales tax. Accommodations can include:
- Rooms in hotels, motels, lodges, ranches, villas, apartments, houses, bed and breakfast establishments, vacation homes or resorts.
- Gymnasiums, coliseums, banquet halls, ball rooms, arenas or other similar accommodations regularly offered for rent.
- Cabins, cottages, tents or fixed trailers. Houseboats and other craft with overnight facilities.
- Space in camper parks and trailer parks where spaces are regularly offered for rent for periods of less than 30 days.
The Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR) provides a list of counties that have adopted the county innkeeper's tax in the table below. You may also contact your county auditor’s office to learn if the county innkeeper’s tax will apply to your business.
The Milton family’s corporation owns two, small hotels. One of the hotels is in Newton County and the other is in Marion County. Each hotel has several employees to work the front desk, housekeeping, grounds maintenance and accounting. The Miltons will need to file two separate registrations. Milton’s Inc. will register for withholding tax for their employees for both locations and they will need to register their Marion County hotel for the county innkeeper’s tax.
For more information call (317) 233-4015.
County Innkeeper's Reports
In accordance with IC 6-9-29-5 as added by HEA 1056-2018, the Department of Revenue is providing summary information on the amount of innkeeper’s tax it has collected by county.
Annual Reports for Self-Collecting CIT's
County Innkeeper's Tax Collected Monthly by DOR
County Innkeeper's Tax: Rates and Effective Dates
The information in this table is provided by the auditor’s office of each county and represents the most current information provided to DOR. If you find that a rate is not correct, please contact DOR.
To remit county inkeeper's tax with your county, a County Innkeepers Tax Return form must be filed with your County Treasurer's Office. You can also click the PDF downloads below for specific county forms.
* Exempt From Tax On State Campgrounds
** Indicated A 30 Room Minimum
*** State Supported Educational Institutions Exempt