Report An Accident or Fatality
How do I report a fatality, hospitalization, amputation or loss of an eye to IOSHA?
Starting March 1, 2015 fatality incidents must be reported by phone, within eight (8) hours of the death. Hospitalizations, amputations or the loss of an eye must be reported within (24) hours. Reporting the incident by fax or email is prohibited. If you are reporting an incident during normal business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday – Friday), call IOSHA at (317) 232-2693. Please identify the call as a fatality, amputation, hospitalization or loss of an eye report. An IOSHA representative will request the following information:
- The establishment name;
- The location of the incident;
- The time of the incident;
- The number of fatalities or hospitalized employees;
- The names of any injured employees;
- The name of the employer’s contact person, and his/her telephone number; and
- A brief description of the incident.
You can also use this link for the Serious Event Reporting Online Form.
If you are reporting an incident or fatality after normal business hours or on a holiday, please call the federal OSHA Hotline at 800-321-OSHA or (800) 321-6742 and speak with the duty officer.
If you have questions about what incidents are reportable, please refer to this chart