Info Agency Main Banner Content
File an IOSHA Complaint
What is the difference between a formal and an informal complaint?
A formal complaint is a complaint made by a current employee or representative of an employee. Formal complaints are assigned to a Compliance Officer for inspection, and they must meet all of the following requirements:
- Asserts that an imminent danger, a violation of the IOSH Act or a violation of an IOSHA standard exposing employees to physical harm exists in the workplace;
- Is submitted in writing; and
- Is signed by at least one current employee or employee representative.
In order to initiate a formal complaint, you must provide your name, contact information and signature. To do so, please print the IOSHA complaint form, or include the required information in a letter to IOSHA, sign the document and mail, fax and or scan and email the signed document to IOSHA:
- Mail to:
Indiana Department of Labor—IOSHA Complaint Duty Officer
402 W. Washington Street, Rm. W195
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax to “Attention Complaint Duty Officer” to (317) 233-3790
- Email to email@example.com
An informal complaint can be made anonymously by anyone and does not require a signature. Informal complaints result in IOSHA contacting the company to investigate alleged hazards.
To initiate an informal complaint, you may fill out our online form. It is preferred that you include your name and phone number, in case IOSHA has more questions about the hazards, however, if you wish to remain anonymous, you may do so as well. It is important to know, that if any information is inaccurate or incomplete, IOSHA cannot proceed with the complaint process. By not providing contact information, there is a greater possibility that your complaint will not be able to be processed.
For any questions regarding the IOSHA complaint process, please call (317) 232-2693.
- Free INSafe Consultation Request
- File an IOSHA Complaint
- Online Wage Claim Form
- Child Labor Online Work Permit System
- Report Hospitalizations/Amputations/Loss of eye to IOSHA
- IOSHA Whistleblower Protection Online Complaint Form
- Customer Satisfaction Survey
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center