Questions about Indiana’s deer seasons and regulations can be directed to the Indiana Deer Hotline at INDeerHotline@dnr.IN.gov or 812-334-3795, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday.
Use the online portal to buy your licenses, apply for reserved hunts, and more.
Grab a transportation tag and check in your game online.
Click to email, or call 812-334-3795, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ET, Monday-Friday.
Reports are reviewed by staff biologists.
The 2022-2023 deer hunting seasons are as follows:
- Reduction Zone: Sept. 15, 2022 - Jan. 31, 2023 (where open)
- Youth Season: Sept. 24-25, 2022
- Archery: Oct. 1, 2022 - Jan. 1, 2023
- Firearm: Nov. 12-27, 2022
- Muzzleloader: Dec. 3-18, 2022
- Special Antlerless: Dec. 26, 2022 - Jan. 1, 2023
A full list of season dates, bag limits, and legal equipment can be found on the deer-hunting question and answers page.
A resident youth hunt/trap, or comprehensive lifetime hunting license is required to hunt for deer unless you meet one of the license exemptions. All deer harvested in Indiana must be reported within 48 hours of the time of harvest at an on-site check station, online, through your Indiana Fish & Wildlife Account, or by phone at 1-800-419-1326. There is a $3 charge for the phone service, payable only by Visa or Mastercard.
Carcasses of deer and other wild animals that are lawfully taken cannot be dumped in streams or other bodies of water. Dumping dead deer and other wild animals in a waterway is considered littering and is a criminal offense punishable by a fine. Rotting carcasses in a waterway can also affect water quality for those downstream. Carcasses should not be burned because this can cause air pollution. Carcasses shouldn’t be left in the open for scavengers and others to see without permission from the landowner. We recommend all discarded carcasses and unwanted animal parts be bagged, placed in your trash, and sent to a landfill.
Licensing and Regulations
- License Fees and Exemptions
- Hunting Regulations and Season Dates
- Bonus Antlerless Deer Map
- Carcass Transportation
- Deer Hunting FAQs
- Deer Reduction Zones
- Property Restrictions Bonus Antlerless Deer
- Special Antlerless Firearms Season
- What License do I Need?
Find Hunting Opportunities
- Deer Hunt Registry
- Getting Permission on Private Land: A Primer
- Getting Permission on Private Land form
- Reserved Hunts
- Where to Hunt
Gear Up: What You Need Before You Hunt
- Bovine TB Information
- Deer Scouting Basics
- Hunting Checklist
- Hunter Education Course Registration
- Shooting Ranges
- Sunrise/Sunset Tables
- Tree Stand Safety
Successful Hunter To-Do List and Supplies
Venison Donation Opportunities
- Sesame Venison Kabobs Grill
- Venison Parmesan
- Venison Pumpkin Chili
- Venison Steak with Bleu Cheese Sauce
Living with Deer
- Report a Sick or Dead Animal
- Abandoned Fawn Help
- Deer Collisions and You
- Feeding Deer: Pros and Cons
- Managing Deer Damage
- Nuisance Deer Help
- Urban Deer Technical Guide
- 2020 Indiana White-Tailed Deer Report
- After-Hunt Survey
- Archer's Index
- Deer Herd Management Survey
- Deer Management County Data.
- Deer Management and Reports
Real time reported deer harvest
Harvest numbers are updated as deer are checked in via CheckIN Game. Numbers are raw data that have not been verified by Indiana DNR.