The Department offers an online, self-paced tutorial for those individuals interested in obtaining their Level II Assessor-Appraiser certification. The tutorial, which is available from this webpage, allows individuals to use an audio and video presentation of the class materials to prepare for the Level II examination.
Materials Needed for Self-Paced Tutorial
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 installed on computer or PDF Viewer
- Computer speakers
- 2011 Real Property Assessment Guidelines - Chapters 6-9, Appendices D-G, Glossary (see below)
- Writing utensils
2019 LEVEL II TUTORIALS
To start using the self-paced tutorial, you will need to download either the PowerPoint or PDF files for each section. In an effort to provide you with multiple options to view the tutorials, we have provided each presentation in two different formats
- Cost Approach
- Golf Course
- Income Approach
- Personal Property
- Personal Property PowerPoint
- Personal Property PDF - no sound available.
- Ratio Study
- Sales Comparison Approach
The files above may be large and may take a few minutes to load on your computer. If you save the files to your computer, you will only need to download the files once.
If the audio does not start upon opening the file, be sure to click on the icon that looks like a speaker, which should then start the audio that accompanies the PowerPoint and PDF slides.
- Powerpoint Tips - When starting in powerpoint you may have a pop-up asking to update files, please select "Cancel" to begin program. You may pause the audio at any time by clicking on the presentation. To restart the audio, again click on the speaker icon and the audio will restart from the beginning for that slide. You may advance the slides or move back a slide at any time by using the up and down arrows on your keyboard. This will pause the audio and you will need to follow the above directions to restart the audio. For additional help using Microsoft PowerPoint, you can "right-click" on your mouse and select the "Help" option.
- PDF Viewer Tips - When starting the PDF, you may have a pop-up box asking if you trust the file sender, please select yes to begin program. To move forward or backward on the presentation, use the arrows at the top of the powerpoint window.
- The problems that are worked during the tutorial presentation can be printed separately from the Resource Materials section in the attached files. Please note that the Powerpoint Resource Materials are in the zip folder with the PowerPoint or in the link labeled Resources.
Real Property Guidelines
The 2011 (sic 2012) rule and manual applies to the reassessment process, used by Indiana Assessors, for the 2012 pay 2013 property tax year. By statute, the Department of Local Government Finance adopted this new rule change July 1, 2009; however, due to a legislative delay, the reassessment commenced July 1, 2010. The 2011 (sic 2012) rule replaces the language used as part of the 2002 reassessment rule and manual. The 2011 (sic 2012) rule applies the appropriate "True Tax Value" definition for assessing property.
The Department has released updated cost schedules for use in the 2013 annual adjustment. Further updates will be released on an annual basis.
2011 Real Property Rule
Students may sit for the Level I examination at any of the scheduled testing times and locations.
Once you have completed the online tutorial, you will need to schedule your testing date with the Department. Please contact Donna Bratcher at firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your date and location at least one week prior to the testing date. The Department reserves the right to cancel a scheduled test if less than five (5) individuals are confirmed for a particular date. Individuals will be confirmed on a first-come, first-served basis and a waitlist will be maintained, if needed. While there is no cost for the test, please make every effort to cancel at least 48 hours in advance so any waitlisted candidates may be notified of an opening.
Source materials, including the 2011 Real Property Assessment Guidelines and the 2018 Tutorials, may be used during the examination. If you intend to use the Tutorials during the examination, please bring them in printed form. (In order to print the tutorial slides, open the files from the Microsoft Office PowerPoint application and print as desired.) Laptop computers or other electronic devices may not be used to access the Tutorials during the examination.
- 2019 Level I & Level II Assessor Appraiser Certification Examinations - January 31, 2019