Education Services is part of the Permanency and Practice Support Division.
DCS-involved youth experience multiple risk factors that may keep them from succeeding in school. DCS is responsible for promoting education stability for youth in care and for incorporating strategies to improve educational outcomes. The Education Services Director and our team of Education Liaisons provide expertise to case managers, families, students, and schools to ensure the education needs of youth in care are met. As former teachers, administrators, and school social workers, they are a vital resource for parents/caregivers, schools, and DCS staff as we work together to champion student success.
Education Resource Tools
- Resource Toolkit for Parents and Caregivers
- Resource Toolkit for Educators
- Resource Toolkit for DCS Staff
Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Department of Education
- Department of Education - Student Assistance for Foster Youth
- United States Department of Education ESSA Guidance
- DOE FAQ of Foster Youth and ESSA
- DOE ESSA Foster Youth POC Memo
- ESSA Implementation Toolkit
- ESSA and Social Emotional Learning - Five Key Strategies
- ESSA Final Regulations
- Contact DCS ESSA state point of contact (POC)
- DCS Local ESSA Point of Contacts: Local DCS Education Liaisons
- Contact Department of Education (DOE) state point of contact (POC)
- Local School Corporation ESSA Point of Contacts
- ESSA LEA Foster Care POC Contacts
- Foster Care & Education - Educational Stability
- FAFSA - Federal Student Aid
- Applications are accepted beginning October 1, 2018 - Apply as soon as possible as awards are granted only until funds are depleted!
- Check with you school's Financial Aid Office for your school's deadline for submission. It may be earlier than you expect!
- The Federal deadline to apply is June 30, 2020.
- Indiana's grant deadline for the Frank O'Bannon Grant and 21st Century Scholarships is Midnight (CST) on April 15, 2019.
- Post-Secondary Education Options
- Scholarships & Grants
- Education Services Trainings
- Anthem Partnership with ETS
- Hoosier Healthwise, Healthy Indiana Plan and Hoosier Care Connect programs through Anthem offer no-cost tutoring available for youth members who are in foster care.
- Serving Children: Information Sharing Guide & Mobile App - Legal answers at your fingertips!
- DOE - Social, Emotional, and Behavioral Wellness
- Please see the Indiana Department of Education's Social-Emotional Learning Competencies and resources to support social-emotional learning with students. Resources were created in collaboration with Butler University.
- Project Success – Back to School Webinars
- Project Success – Paraprofessional Webinars
- Center for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Education
- National Deaf Center – Resources by topic
FosterMore - https://fostermore.org/
Foster Coalition - https://www.fostercoalition.com/college-scholarships-foster-youth
- Making SPACE for Learning
- Children Feel and Be Safe Poster
- Safe and Secure
- Fostering Hope Foster Training – Worker Resource
Trauma Informed Care Resources linked below by role in children’s lives:
- Child Welfare and Resource Parent Resources
- Family Resources
- Educator Resources
- Juvenile Justice Resources
- Healthcare Resources
- Secondary Traumatic Stress Resources
5 Core Ideas of Helping Traumatized Children Learn Vol 1 & 2 – YouTube Video