Language Translation
  Close Menu

Eligible Non-Citizen

Students must be an Indiana resident by December 31st the year prior to applying for aid (i.e. December 31, 2015 for the 2016-2017 school year), must remain a resident throughout academic year, and must be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen to receive state financial aid.

Eligible Categories

Students must be one of the following to receive state financial aid:

  • U.S. citizen
  • U.S. national (including those born in American Samoa or Swain’s Island)
  • U.S. permanent resident who has an I-151, I-551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)
  • Non-U.S. citizen with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing one of the following designations:
    • Refugee
    • Asylum Granted
    • Indefinite Parole and/or Humanitarian Parole
    • Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending
    • Conditional Entrant (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)

Ineligible Categories

Non-U.S. citizens with the following immigration statuses are not eligible for state financial aid:

  • Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464)
  • F1 or F2 student visa
  • J1 or J2 exchange visitor visa
  • G series visa (pertaining to international organizations)
  • Recipients of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

Please contact the Commission's Financial Aid Support Center at 1-888-528-4719 if you have any questions.

 Top FAQs