Commission Members serve on one of three committees as appointed by the current Commission Chair.
The Academic Affairs & Quality Committee is charged to ensure that the Commission carries out its statutory responsibilities related to matters of an academic nature and the quality of the student experience.
- Dr. Beverley Pitts (Chair)
- Dr. Edward Berger
- Dennis Bland
- Dan Peterson
- Dr. Ken Sauer (Staff)
The Budget & Productivity Committee is charged with the development, implementation, and oversight of the Commission's fiscal policies focused on increasing postsecondary efficiency and productivity.
- Chris LaMothe (Chair)
- Al Hubbard
- Chris Murphy
- John Popp
- Seth Hinshaw (Staff)
The Student Success & Completion Committee will develop policy and practice initiatives to aid Hoosier postsecondary students in graduating from college on-time and without excessive debt.
- Pepper Mulherin (Chair)
- Mike Alley
- Anne Bowen
- Jud Fisher
- Liz Walker (Staff)
The Executive Committee may be called to assist the Commission in performing the duties of the Commission. The Executive Committee is not held in regular session and the Chair of the Commission may call a special meeting at any time.
The Indiana Board for Proprietary Education (BPE) is charged with authorizing all accredited Indiana proprietary institutions that grant degrees, as well as all accredited proprietary degree-granting, out-of-state institutions that offer instruction in Indiana. BPE operates under the authority of Indiana Code 21- 18.5. It is governed by a seven member Board. The Board meets quarterly to review staff recommendations, grant accreditation, and hold formal hearings. Visit in.gov/bpe for more information and meeting schedules or contact Ross Miller (staff).
The Graduate Medical Education Board was created in 2015 to expand medical education in Indiana by funding new residency program slots at licensed hospitals and qualifying non-profit organizations. The board may grant funds to support residents who are not federally funded, provide technical assistance to organizations that wish to establish residency programs, cover infrastructure costs for residency program expansion, and provide startup funding for residency programs. The board meets regularly to review grant proposals.
- Tricia Hern, MD – Vice President for Academic Affairs, Community Health Network (Board Chair)
- Steven Becker, MD – Director and Associate Dean, Indiana University School of Medicine, Evansville
- Paul Haut, MD – Chief Operating Officer, Riley Hospital for Children
- Michelle Howenstine, MD – Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education and Continuing Medical Education; Designated Institutional Official (DIO), Indiana University School of Medicine
- Clif Knight, MD, CPE, FAAFP - Assistant Dean of Clinical Affairs, Associate Professor of Family Medicine, Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Rob McLin, Chief Executive Officer, Good Samaritan Hospital
- Rachel Shockley, DO – Program Director, Community Health Network Family Medicine Residency South
- Thomas Sonderman, MD – Vice President and Chief Medical Officer, Columbus Regional Health
- Curt Ward, MD, MBA, FAAFP - Designated Institutional Official, Director of Medical Education, Ascension St. Vincent
- Beth Wrobel – Chief Executive Officer, HealthLinc
- Eugene Johnson (Staff)
OPEN DOOR LAW
The Indiana Commission for Higher Education abides by the Indiana Open Door Law (Indiana Code 5-14-1.5). For questions or to sign up for our monthly e-newsletter, please contact the Commission at email@example.com.