The Next Generation Hoosier Educators Scholarship provides 200 high-achieving high school and college students interested in pursuing a career in education the opportunity to earn a renewable scholarship of up to $7,500 each year for four academic years. In exchange, students agree to teach for five years at an eligible Indiana school or repay the corresponding, prorated amount of the scholarship.
- Must be an Indiana resident;
- Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Must be a current high school senior or college student in Indiana;
- Must have graduated or will graduate from an Indiana accredited high school or non-accredited nonpublic high school;
- Must be able to utilize the scholarship for at least two full academic years;
- Must rank in the top 20% of high school graduating class or have a top 20% ACT or SAT score;
- Must currently attend or plan to attend an eligible Indiana institution as a full-time student;
- In some cases, degree-seeking students may use the scholarship during the summer while enrolled part-time. Refer to the specific guidelines for using the scholarship during summer terms.
- Must pursue or intend to pursue a course of study that would enable the student to teach at eligible Indiana school after college graduation;
- Must obtain a license to teach in Indiana and serve as a teacher in an eligible Indiana school for five consecutive years after college graduation;
- Must maintain a 3.0/4.0 GPA, complete 30 credit hours per year or their equivalent and meet all other requirements established by their program to renew the scholarship;
- Must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each year;
- Must not be in overpayment or default on a federal student loan or grant; and
- Must complete the service requirement or have all funds provided converted to a loan that must be repaid.
**Priority will be given to students graduating high school although current college freshmen and sophomore students are eligible to apply.
HOW TO APPLY
The 2020-2021 application will be available in ScholarTrack beginning September 1, 2019 and will close on November 30, 2019.
- Review the 2020-2021 Application Procedures and Requirements prior to applying.
- Complete the Nomination Form.
- Submit a complete application in ScholarTrack.
- Submit a complete and clean FAFSA.
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU APPLY
- After the November 30 deadline passes, the Commission will review all applications and notify all applicants of their scholarship status via email by January 10, 2020.
- Finalists must participate in the interview day on March 14, 2020 in Indianapolis.
- After the interviews, the Commission will notify all finalists of their scholarship status by April 3rd, 2020. Recipients and waitlisted finalists will be provided further instructions via email at that time.