Fire & Building Code Enforcement
Code Enforcement Section Chief
(317) 232 - 2222
The Fire and Building Safety Division will only accept VISA Credit Cards for those applications that are filed on-line from our web site.
The Fire and Building Code Enforcement Branch encourages the development of building code law enforcement programs within state agencies and political subdivisions and exercises any program of supervision that is approved by the Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission. The branch enforces building laws and related variances as well as other orders that apply to Class I structures, industrialized buildings.
To carry out these objectives, the branch encourages and assists local elected officials to adopt proper ordinances and set in motion code enforcement programs within approved building departments. The branch also provides local building officials with continuing education regarding the application of code and building laws.
In jurisdictions without approved building departments, the branch periodically inspects Class I buildings. Agricultural buildings and one- and two-family dwellings fall under the jurisdiction of local government. The branch also regularly inspects industrialized buildings and audits approved third-party inspection agencies.
The branch encourages the professional development of the building commissioner's staff, local building officials and related professional organizations such as the Indiana Association of Building Officials and the Indiana Association of Electrical Inspectors.
The branch responds to building code complaints from the public, contractors, local building officials and other state agencies, and provides assistance during times of public disasters.
- Outdoor Stages and Outdoor Stage Equipment Rules and Requirements
- Requirements for Temporary Stages (in place for 90 days or less)
These are NOT the new requirements for outdoor stage equipment. These are existing rules that have applied to temporary stages since before July 1, 2008.
- Important Smoke Detector Information
- Downloadable Applications
- Haunted House Code Enforcement Policy
- Amusement & Entertainment Permit Application
- Amusement & Entertainment Permit - Check Status - Print Permit
- Purchase Certification Labels (Seals) for Industrialized Buildings & Mobile Structures
- Explosives Magazine Permit Application
- Fireworks Permit Application
- Fireworks Permit Application - Check Status
- Supervised Public Display of Fireworks Permit Application
- Unlicensed Registered Child Care Ministries Application
- Permit Fees
- Code Enforcement FAQ
- IFC Chapter 31, 2014 Ed. - Tents and Other Membrane Structures
- Application for Industrialized Buildings / Mobile Structures
- Industrialized Building Systems (Modular)/Mobile Structures
- Manufactured Housing
- DBC / LBO List for the State of Indiana
- Notice from ATF's National Licensing Center to All Federal Explosive Licensees and Permittees
- Sample Building Code Ordinance - County
- Sample Building Code Ordinance - Municipality
- Sample Unsafe Building Ordinance
Useful Resources / Links
- Administrative Law Services
- Indiana Administrative Code
- Indiana Builders Association (IBA)
- International Code Council (I.C.C.)
- Indiana Association of Building Officials (IABO)
- Fire Inspectors Association of Indiana (FIAI)
- National Fire Protection Association (NFPA)
- International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI)
- Plumbing, Heating, Cooling Contractors Association (PHCC)
- Report of State Fire Marshal Inspection - School Heating System and Supporting Lines