Since 1985, the first full week in May has been designated as Public Service Recognition Week (PSRW), honoring those who serve our nation as federal, state, county, or local government employees. The Indiana State Personnel Department (INSPD) encourages your agency to celebrate this week with special events and by sharing employee activities on social media.
Here in state government, we’ll celebrate all those that work for Indiana from May 5-11. We've outlined what's going on statewide below.
Friday, May 3
Get an Early Start: Celebrate Public Service Day #INSERVICE
Are you up for an early start to PSRW? INSPD has arranged a volunteer opportunity for Indy-area employees with the American Red Cross’ life-saving Sound the Alarm event on Friday, May 3 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- For full details, view the information flyer.
- Sign up to volunteer - limited spots remain.
- For questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sunday, May 5
State Parks Sunday
Kick off Visit Indiana Week with free admission to 49 Indiana Department of Natural Resources properties!
Wednesday, May 8
Indiana Blood Center Blood Drive
Patients who need blood products depend on 500+ Indiana volunteers to raise their sleeves every day. Be a Hoosier hero by making a donation during PSRW. Join us for a blood drive on Wednesday, May 8 from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. in ICG-S Conference Room B. Sign up here to donate.
Thursday, May 9
Dress Up Day: Years of State Service Day
Show your colors! Wear the following colors that correspond with how long you’ve been serving Indiana.
- 0-2 years: Wear Green
- 3-5 years: Wear Blue
- 6-10 years: Wear Purple
- 11-15 years: Wear Red
- 16+ years: Wear Pink
Statehouse Market Street Fair
On Thursday, May 9 look for food and fun on Robert Orr Plaza from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Agencies will host exhibits with games and information for employees to enjoy on their lunch hour, including details about new opportunities for state workers to save money on career-advancing educational programs, such as special tuition discounts and scholarships.
The following food trucks are expected to be in attendance this year: Nacho Mama, Backyard BBQ, Rolling Asian Delight, Brozinni, El Venezolano, Pierogi Love Indy, Greiner’s Sub Shop, Der Pretzel Wagen, Tacos Without Borders, The Twisted Sicilian, The Flying Cupcake, Chef Dan’s Southern Comfort
All-Agency Group Photo
Join your fellow state employees for an all-agency group photo. Stay tuned for more information!
Friday, May 10
Dress Up Day: Hoosier Pride Day
Show your Hoosier pride and wear anything Indiana! Sports, schools, if it’s Indiana, rock your gear.
Saturday, May 11
Run the State Hike at Clifty Falls State Park
Take advantage of the free admission on May 11 and participate in the Clifty Falls hike, part of the Run the State 5K and Hike series. Admission is free for state employees on Saturday, May 11, with a valid state employee ID badge.
Showing gratitude can be the simplest, yet most effective, way to boost morale and promote a healthy work culture, and it is the cornerstone of PSRW. The benefits of employee appreciation offer:
- Increased productivity.
- Enhanced customer service (internal and external).
- Improved physical and mental wellness.
- Greater job satisfaction.
- A great way to model supportive behavior; generosity is contagious!
Here are a few suggestions for a great Public Service Recognition Week or #PSRW.
- Show your #INAppreciation on social media: Please use the hashtags #INAppreciation and #PSRW when posting on social media. Let's show those outside of state government all of the awesome things we're doing as state employees! We hope to see how your agency participates and celebrates the week. Please engage with our state employee accounts on Twitter (@SOIEmployees) and Facebook (State of IN Employees).
- Perform random acts of kindness: Write letters thanking fellow employees with the agency or to other state agencies. Send an email or write a simple note or thank you card by hand. Make cookies, give flowers, etc.
- Have fun! Also don’t forget that you get a day off during the week too! It’s Primary Election Day on Tuesday, May 7.
- SuccessFactors (for AOS, ISD, ISBVI employees)
- SPD Knowledge Management Portal (SharePoint)
- PeopleSoft Financials
- Search Employment Opportunities
- PeopleSoft Human Resources
- Citrix Remote Access
- PeopleSoft Learning Management
- Indiana Public Retirement System
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center