Info Agency Main Banner Content
Family & Medical Leave
Direct Process through the Indiana State Employee Portal is now required for agencies served by the Indiana State Personnel Department's centralized FML-processing staff.
Applying for Family Medical Leave
- Overview of Application Process - A checklist you can use to document all the steps needed to properly apply for FML.
NEW - Recorded Webinar on FML Request Process
This webinar is available via PeopleSoft ELM.
- View Quick Step Guide on how to access this webinar
- Course is titled FMLWeb in PeopleSoft ELM. Course number is SPD_00056_FMLWeb.
To apply for family medical leave, log-in to PeopleSoft®.
- From the Main Menu choose Human Resources > Self-Service > Leave Administration > FMLA Leave Request.
- Need help navigating in PeopleSoft to the request screen? View Quick Steps for Submitting an FML Request
- Need more help? Scroll down to the Helpful Tools section on this page.
- Review the CERTIFICATION FORMS below and choose the one that applies to your reason for needing FML. The Certification forms are not interchangeable.
- Download the correct certification form, fill-in the identifying information, and submit the form to the Health Care Provider (HCP) for completion.
- Within the time limit (15 days for initial certification / 7 days for clarification) retrieve the certification from the HCP and upload it to your request (See Quick Steps for Attaching Documents to Request). If there are extenuating circumstances making it impossible for you to submit the certification or clarification within the time limit, then you must call the FML Line at 317.234.7955 or 1.855.773.4647 and request an extension. Deadlines cannot be extended after they have expired – call before the 15- or 7-day limit has passed.
- Check your email account frequently for information about your request.
If there is a chance that a leave for the employee's own serious health condition may last more than 30 consecutive calendar days, then the employee must apply for the state's Short/Long Term Disability (S/LTD) Plan by completing and submitting these forms to the address/fax listed on the forms as soon as the need for leave becomes known. This is a separate process and must be completed in addition to the FML process in appropriate situations.
Learn more about these common FML events
Helpful tools related to the FML process
Are you eligible for New Parent Leave?
To be eligible for New Parent Leave (NPL) employees must have:
- Six (6) consecutive (without a break in service) months or more employment in a permanent position in state service
- Birth or placement of a child for adoption occurring on or after January 1, 2018.
For additional information, visit INSPD's New Parent Leave page.
Are you eligible for FML?
The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, as amended in 2008, allows eligible employees of a covered employer to take job-protected, unpaid leave, or to substitute paid leave if earned or accrued.
State and Federal Policies on Family-Medical Leave
These documents explain how family-medical leave is administered by the State of Indiana for its state employees. It does not apply to other employers.
US Department of Labor’s Notice to Employees of Rights under the FMLA
This document is required by the US DOL to be provided to employees of covered employers. The State of Indiana is a covered employer.
Training materials and opportunities
- Quick steps to enroll in online FMLA training
- Login to PeopleSoft ELM - link to online training
- The FML Questions Agency Management Can and Can’t Ask
- Recognizing FMLA Abuse: What are the signs?
- FML to Care for an Adult Child
- FML Information for Expectant Parents
- FML Recertification for Each New Fiscal Year
- Supporting Documentation - How to Submit
- Advance Notice for Foreseeable Absences – What’s Foreseeable?
- Are you eligible for FML?
- Whose responsibility is it to submit the FML documentation?
- Tracking FML Usage
- Understanding Intermittent FML
- Overtime and FML
- Reasonable Accommodations upon Return to Work
- Return to Work After Leave from S/LTD, Worker’s Compensation, FML
- Light Duty or FML or ADA/RA: Which is appropriate?
- FML & Short & Long Term Disability
- FML & Worker's Compensation
- When Family Medical Leave is exhausted
- FML and Surgery
- SPD Knowledge Management Portal (SharePoint)
- SuccessFactors (for AOS, ISD, ISBVI employees)
- PeopleSoft Financials
- Search Employment Opportunities
- PeopleSoft Human Resources
- Citrix Remote Access
- PeopleSoft Learning Management
- Indiana Public Retirement System
- More IN.gov Online Services
- IN.gov Subscriber Center