- Apply, Renew, or Maintain Your Application
- Application Instructions
- Renewal Instructions
- Exams & Testing
- Fee Schedule
- Additional Information
- License Application & Instruction
Apply online now!
Go to MyLicense.IN.gov and you will either need to create or login to your Access Indiana, single sign-on account. You will complete the online application and submit payment with a credit or debit card. You will be contacted by a customer service representative with details of what additional documentation is required to complete your application. Applications are processed in the order received. **Intern and Professional Surveyor Only.**
- Surveying Application Checklist - Surveyor Intern
- Application for Certification as a Surveyor Intern
- Reference Sheet for Certification as a Surveyor Intern
- Supplemental Form
- Surveying Application Checklist - Professional Surveyor
- Application for Registration to Practice as a Professional Surveyor
- Verification of Reference for Registration as a Professional Surveyor
- Letter Regarding Applicant References
- License Verification Form
- Supplemental Form
Continuing Education Provider
- Application for Approval as a Professional Surveyor Continuing Education Provider
- Individual Request for Professional Surveyor Continuing Education Course Approval
- Provider Request for Approval of Additional Professional Surveyor Continuing Education Courses/Instructors
Other Applications and Forms
- Registration Information
Apply Online Now!
Go to MyLicense.IN.gov and you will either need to create or login to your Access Indiana, single sign-on account. You will complete the online application and submit payment with a credit or debit card. You will be contacted by a customer service representative with details of what additional documentation is required to complete your application. Applications are processed in the order received.
Professional Surveyor Application Instructions
- Completed Application: Applications may be submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov or completed by paper and mailed to our office.
- Application fee: The fee for this application is $300.00 to apply by examination or $500.00 to apply by comity. Pay by credit or debit card for applications submitted online at MyLicense.IN.gov. If applying by paper/mail make checks or money orders payable to Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. All application fees are nonrefundable.
- Name Change Documentation: Documentation of any legal name change if your name differs from that on any of your documents. Documentation may include a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree.
- Positive Response Documentation: If you answer "Yes" to any questions on the application, explain fully in a statement that includes all details. Include the violation, location, date, cause number, and disposition. Submit copies of court documents for each instance to support the statement.
- Transcripts: Original copy of the transcript(s)/ or evaluation of foreign degree. This information is to be sent directly from the college/university or the evaluating agency.
- Supplemental Form: Please review the statues and rules for the education requirements. When completing the supplemental form, please include all surveying education.
- Verification of Licensure: Verification of any registration/license/certification to practice any profession or occupation in another state or territory. Verifications must be submitted directly from the state of issuance. You may find the verification form here.
- References: 5 references, of which 3 must be from Professional Surveyors sent with the application. Reference forms are to be completed by the reference and submitted to the board. Mailed in completed references must be in a sealed envelope with a signature placed across the back and forwarded to the applicant. The completed references may also be emailed or uploaded.
The Fair Information Practice Act: In compliance with Ind. Code 4-1-6, this agency is notifying you that you must provide the requested information, or your application will not be processed. You have the right to challenge, correct, or explain information maintained by this agency. The information you provide will become public record. Your examination scores and grade transcripts are confidential except in circumstances where their release is required by law, in which case you will be notified.
Mandatory Disclosure of U.S. Social Security Number: Your social security number is being requested by this state agency in accordance with Ind. Code 4-1-8-1 and 25-1-5- 11(a). Disclosure is mandatory, and this record cannot be processed without it.
Failure to disclose your U.S. social security number will result in the denial of your application. Application fees are not refundable.
Abandon Applications: If an applicant does not submit all requirements within one (1) year after the date on which the application is filed, the application for licensure is abandoned without any action of the Board. An application submitted after an abandoned application shall be treated as a new application.
Professional Surveyor Application Information
- IPLA Address/Phone Number/Fax/Email/Website:
- Passed Principles and Practice/ State Specific Exam - Principles and Practice Exam/Comity Candidates must apply along with the corresponding application fee and all required documents to the Board Office. Review the Surveying Application Checklist for required documents for certification. The Board will review your application at the next regularly scheduled meeting.
- ONLY AFTER BOARD APPROVAL, register with NCEES and pay an examination fee to reserve a seat for the examination. Do not register with NCEES without board approval. Fees will not be refunded if you register and have not been approved by the Board.
- You will receive an email notification from NCEES when scores are released. For more information on the scoring process, visit this link: http://www.ncees.org/.
- State Specific Exam - Results will be sent directly from the Board. Exam results will be released approximately 8 weeks after the exam.
- Passed Principles and Practice/ State Specific Exam - Candidates must submit their pass letter.
- Issuance Fee Schedule - Once all requirements for licensure have been met, an invoice will be emailed to the applicant requesting the issuance fee to be paid.
- August 1 of an odd year through July 31 even year the fee is $50
- August 1 of an even year through July 31 odd year the fee is $100
- Failed Principles and Practice/State Specific Exam - If you have not exhausted all of your examination attempts in accordance with 865 IAC 1-4-6, please proceed to reschedule with NCEES. To reschedule as a candidate for the next examination in Indiana, you must complete the registration process online at the NCEES Website prior to the posted deadline. All instructions and deadlines can be found at www.ncees.org.
- If you have exhausted all examination attempts, please review 865 IAC 1-4-7 for additional requirements prior to submitting a new application to the board prior to registering with NCEES. For more information, contact the Indiana Board directly at (317) 234-3022 or email@example.com.
- Additional Licensure Information
Verification Of Licensure/Replacement Of Pocket cards/Other Miscellaneous Information
VERIFICATION LINE & FREE ONLINE VERIFICATION
The Indiana Professional Licensing Agency will verify the status of a license by calling (317) 234-3022 or you may obtain basic information on a practitioner's license for free by accessing our free online verification search .
VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE TO ANOTHER STATE
This is a verification of an Indiana license to another state. The state of Indiana is now providing a digital certification of the license that you can download and email to your state board. This is an official statement of the basis of licensure and includes the practitioner's name, profession, license number, status and any other conditions/restrictions of the license. Click the link below to order your digital certification.
DUPLICATE POCKETCARDS/WALL CERTIFICATE
You may visit our License Express page to order a duplicate pocket card or wall certificate or to verify the status of your license anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you wish to purchase a larger wall certificate you have the opportunity to do so by going to www.officialframes.com.
Complaints against a practitioner are investigated by the Office of the Attorney General - Consumer Protection Division. Information concerning the filing of complaints may be obtained by calling 1-800-382-5516 or (317) 232-6330 or at their Website, http://www.in.gov/attorneygeneral/. You may also receive information by writing to:
Office of the Indiana Attorney General
Consumer Protection Division
Indiana Government Center South
302 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
If you have any questions regarding your license, you may contact the Board by mail, Email, FAX or phone.
Indiana Professional Licensing Agency
ATTN: Indiana Board of Professional Land Surveyors
402 West Washington Street, Room W072
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204
Staff Phone: (317) 234-3022
FAX: (317) 233-4236
Staff Email: pla10@pla.IN.gov
WEB SITE: http://www.pla.in.gov/
- License Verification
If you are seeking license and exam verification from the State of Indiana you will need to purchase a digital certification from the following link, http://www.in.gov/pla/verify.htm. You will be required to save the certification to your system. You will then need to email the digital verification document to firstname.lastname@example.org. We will process your license verification and/or exam results once the digital verification is received by the Indiana Board.
NCEES License/Exam Verification
Click here to select the board you are making application to: https://verify.ncees.org
- Renewal Information
- Registered professional surveyors expire July 31 of even numbered years.
- The professional surveyor active renewal fee is $100.
- Registered professional surveyors must obtain continuing education in order to renew. For more information regarding CE requirements please see the Continuing Education Requirements tab in this section.
Renewal notices are sent approximately ninety (90) days prior to the expiration date. License holders with valid email addresses on file will be emailed the renewal notice. Those who do not have valid email addresses on file will be mailed the license renewal notice; this notice is mailed to the address of record with the board. The board has no way of knowing whether or not a notice reaches its destination; therefore when a notice has been emailed to a valid email address or mailed, the duty of the board has been performed.
Online renewal is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for most license renewals. Online renewal takes only minutes, and your renewal will be processed and available for verification the next business day.
- Inactive Status
There is no renewal fee for inactive registrations. You may renew to an inactive status online or using a paper renewal document. When renewing to inactive status, you are not required to complete continuing education. An inactive registered surveyor may not practice surveying.
If your license is on inactive status and you wish to renew to active status, you may email your request to the board at email@example.com. Please include your license number and copies of continuing education certificates verifying your have met CE requirements. This status change should be made prior to completing your license renewal.
- Renewal Forms
Paper Renewal Documents
To renew your registration by paper, you must select a document below. Print and mail the completed form with the required renewal fee to the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency. The address is on the form, and checks should be made out to 'Indiana Professional Licensing Agency.' If your registration has been expired for more than three (3) years or the renewal form you need is not available, please contact the board by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Continuing Education Requirements
865 IAC 1-15-2 Continuing education requirements
Sec. 2. (a) Registered professional surveyors must complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education in order to qualify for the biennial renewal of the professional surveyor's license in an active status. The twenty-four (24) hours of continuing education requirement must include both of the following:
(1) A minimum of six (6) continuing education hours in mandatory topics as defined in section 6 of this rule.
(2) A minimum of eighteen (18) continuing education hours in elective topics as defined in section 7 of this rule.
(b) New registrants are not required to comply with the continuing education requirements stated in subsection (a) at the first renewal of his or her license.
(c) No single elective course may count for more than twelve (12) hours of continuing education. Hours in excess of twelve (12) granted for any single elective course shall not be applied to the hours of continuing education required in the renewal period except as otherwise allowed under subsection (e).
(d) College courses taken after licensure that qualify for continuing education credit under section 5 of this rule will be counted as follows:
(1) Ten (10) hours of continuing education credit per credit hour taken in a quarter system.
(2) Fifteen (15) hours of continuing education credit per credit hour taken in a semester system.
However, college credit earned under this section and applied as elective continuing education hours must comply with the requirements of subsection (c).
(e) Up to four (4) hours of elective continuing education topics earned, but not used, in one (1) renewal period may be applied to the hours required in the next renewal period. Proper documentation of any such hours shall be submitted as required by the board.
865 IAC 1-15-3 Length of instruction hour; length of course
Sec. 3. (a) One (1) hour of continuing education must contain at least fifty (50) minutes of instruction.
(b) A continuing education course shall be a minimum of one (1) hour of instruction.
865 IAC 1-15-4 Credit for instructors
Sec. 4. (a) Two (2) hours of continuing education credit will be granted per hour of time spent as a lecturer, instructor, or discussion leader in a continuing education course that meets the requirements of sections 5 through 7 of this rule.
(b) Continuing education credit as provided for under subsection (a) will be granted only the first time an approved course is presented per biennium.
865 IAC 1-15-5 Continuing education topics
Sec. 5. (a) To qualify as continuing education under this rule as provided for in IC 25-1-4-0.5, a course must be an orderly process of instruction that is:
(1) approved by an approved organization (as defined by IC 25-1-4-0.2) or the board; and
(2) designed to directly enhance the professional surveyor's knowledge and skill in providing land surveying services relevant to the profession of land surveying.
(b) Qualifying continuing education courses are categorized either as mandatory under section 6 of this rule or elective under section 7 of this rule. ab
865 IAC 1-15-6 Mandatory topics
Sec. 6. The following topics and course content are defined as mandatory by the board in qualifying as continuing education under IC 25-1-4-0.5 and section 5 of this rule:
(1) 865 IAC 1-10, rules of professional conduct.
(2) 865 IAC 1-12, if taught in a comprehensive manner.
(3) 865 IAC 1-12-3, surveyor responsibility.
(4) 865 IAC 1-12-7, measurements for retracement surveys, original surveys, and route surveys.
(5) 865 IAC 1-12-11, surveyor conclusions in retracement surveys.
(6) 865 IAC 1-12-12, publication of retracement and original survey results.
(7) 865 IAC 1-12-13, retracement and original survey plats.
(8) 865 IAC 1-12-20 through 865 IAC 1-12-25, route surveys.
(9) 865 IAC 1-12-27 through 865 IAC 1-12-29, surveyor location reports.
(10) 865 IAC 1-12-30, section corner perpetuation.
(11) IC 25-21.5, Indiana professional surveyor's registration act.
(12) IC 25-21.5-1-7(a)(4), the preparation of legal descriptions for tracts of land to be used in the preparation of deeds of conveyance or other instruments.
865 IAC 1-15-7 Elective topics
Sec. 7. The following topics and course content are defined as elective by the board in qualifying as continuing education under IC 25-1-4-0.5 and section 5 of this rule:
(1) Mandatory topics as defined in section 6 of this rule.
(2) College level mathematics.
(3) College level physical sciences.
(4) Federal and state laws, rules, regulations, and practices pertaining to the following:
(A) The establishment or reestablishment of land boundaries in Indiana.
(B) The practice of land surveying in Indiana.
(5) The design, planning, and platting of subdivisions.
(6) Preparation of plans and profiles for:
(B) storm drainage; and
(C) sanitary sewer extensions; in subdivisions.
(7) The ethical, economic, and legal principles that pertain to the practice of land surveying.
(8) Topographic and hydrographic surveying.
(9) Construction layout.
(10) Remote data acquisition systems, such as the following:
(C) Remote sensing.
(11) Surveying applications, such as the following:
(12) Advanced surveying procedures and equipment, such as the following:
(B) Laser scanning.
(13) Computer applications for professional surveyors.
(14) Communication, such as the following:
(A) Public speaking.
(B) Technical writing.
865 IAC 1-15-8 Distance learning requirements
Sec. 8. (a) Up to twelve (12) hours of the continuing education credits required under this rule may be obtained by distance learning methods.
(b) For a distance learning course to be acceptable to the board, it must:
(1) meet the requirements of sections 5 through 7 of this rule;
(2) be presented or otherwise formatted in a logical order and may make use of a variety of media or delivery techniques, including:
(A) printed materials;
(B) video or DVD;
(C) live broadcast; or
(D) the Internet;
(3) include, at the end of the course, an examination that is graded by the provider;
(4) be completed within one (1) year of enrollment in the course; and
(5) provide for confirmation of successful completion of the course by the provider.
865 IAC 1-15-9 Approval of courses
Sec. 9. (a) A course qualifies for continuing education credit if it:
(1) meets the requirements of sections 5 through 7 of this rule;
(2) if the course is a distance learning course, meets the requirements of section 8 of this rule; and
(3) either is approved by:
(A) an approved organization as defined in IC 25-1-4-0.2; or
(B) the board under subsection (b) or (c).
(b) A course provider that is not approved by an approved organization as defined in IC 25-1-4-0.2 may request specific board approval of a continuing education course by submitting on a form provided by the board the following information:
(1) A course outline demonstrating that the course content meets the requirements of sections 5 through 7 of this rule.
(2) The name and address of the provider.
(3) The telephone number of a contact person for the provider.
(4) The name and address of each instructor.
(5) Biographical information for each instructor sufficient to demonstrate their qualifications to competently teach the course as provided for in section 11 of this rule.
(6) The number of mandatory or elective hours being requested for approval.
(7) The student evaluation form for evaluations under section 23 of this rule.
(c) A registered professional surveyor may request specific board approval of any continuing education course by submitting course material. The following information must be provided:
(1) The following information about the course:
(A) The course title.
(B) The course outline or a description demonstrating that the course content meets the requirements of section 5 of this rule and section 6 or 7 of this rule.
(C) The location where the course was taught.
(D) The date the course was taught.
(E) The name, telephone number, and address of the provider.
(F) The name and address of each instructor.
(G) Biographical information for each instructor sufficient to demonstrate their qualifications to competently teach the course content as provided for in section 11 of this rule.
(2) The name and license number of the registered professional surveyor requesting approval.
(3) A certified statement signed by the registered professional surveyor stating that the entire course was completed.
(4) The number of mandatory or elective hours as defined in section 6 or 7 of this rule being requested for approval.
865 IAC 1-15-10 Proof of course completion
Sec. 10. (a) The registered professional surveyor is responsible for obtaining the evidence necessary to demonstrate that:
(1) any course for which continuing education credit will subsequently be claimed was completed; and
(2) the course met the requirements of this rule.
(b) The registered professional surveyor shall retain the evidence required in subsection (a) for not less than three (3) years as provided
- Surveyor Licensing Fees
Surveyor Licensing Fees
Surveyor in Training Enrollment $100 NA $100 Application by Examination $300 NA $300 Application by Comity/Reciprocity $500 NA $500 Issuance 8-1 odd year through 7-31 even year $50 NA $50 Issuance 8-1 even year through 7-31 odd year $100 NA $100 Renewal (cannot renew after four (4) year delinquency) $100 NA $100
Question: What are the requirements to be registered as a professional Land Surveyor?
Answer: To be registered as a professional Land Surveyor you must graduate from an approved Land Surveyor curriculum and complete eight years of combined education and experience. See IC 25-21.5-5-2 in the statutes and rules.
Question: How can I receive verification of my license?
Answer: You will have to purchase a digital verification from the following website, http://www.in.gov/pla/verify.htm. Once you have saved the form to your computer email the verification to email@example.com and inform the board you need your verification to be emailed to the board of your choosing.
Question: How do you apply for a registration by comity?
Answer: To apply for a registration by comity you must have a valid license from another state. If the registration was at a standard lower than Indiana at the time of original registration the board will assign parts of the examination as needed.
Question: How often is the examination administered?
Answer: Contact NCEES for information on when the Part 2A (PS) exam is given.
Question: How do I receive my SIT license if I took the FS exam through my college/university?
Answer: You will need to submit a copy of the pass letter from NCEES and have your college/university submit a degree confirmed transcript directly to the board. Once those items are received you will be issued an SIT number.
Question: When does a SIT certification expire?
Answer: There is no expiration or renewal of a surveyor-in-training certification.
Question: How often does the board meet?
Answer: The board meets once a quarter.
Question: After the board has approved my application, how do I get registered?
Answer: Once your application has been approved, you will be sent a letter approving you for the Part 2A (PS exam) and/or the Part 2B (law exam). After you have passed the exam(s) you are approved for, you will be emailed an issuence letter. Once the fee is received your license number will be issued.
Question: Can a Land Surveyor who has a current Indiana License perform engineering work?
Answer: Only within subdivisions and only to a limited extent. Interested persons should review IC 25-21.5-1-7 before proceeding with any engineering.
Question: How can I order a wall certificate?
Answer: Please visit Officialframes.com
Question: When is the Part IIB (Indiana Specific Law Exam) given?
Answer: The Indiana Specific Law Exam is administered quarterly, the same day the board meet.
Question: How long before I receive my pocket card?
Answer: You can order a pocket card from the following website, https://mylicense.in.gov/egov/ .