Important Notice Regarding New Rules for The Massage Therapy Board
Effective July 13, 2022
All current certificate holders have until January 11, 2023 to update their information with the Indiana State Board of Massage Therapy if you have not received a license number from IPLA. You will need to submit the paper application which is available below under Licensing Information.
Pursuant to IC 25-21.8.3, the Indiana State Board of Massage Therapy has adopted the new rules for the practice as a massage therapist and will require Continuing Education for renewal and has transitioned the Massage Therapy Certification to Massage Therapy Licensure. If you currently hold a Massage Therapy Certification, there is nothing you need to do to transition to a license. Your state issued number will remain the same.
As of July 13, 2022 all licensed Massage Therapist will be required to complete 18 hours of Continuing Education before the May 2025 renewal. After that, they will be required to complete a total of 24 hours of Continuing Education within the 4 year renewal cycle.
To file a complaint against a provider, please use the link below. All complaints are investigated by the Attorney General's Office and are confidential unless formal charges are filed by the Attorney General's Office with the Board. For more information, the Attorney General's Office may be contacted at 317-232-6201.
Information on the process of submitting a Consumer complaint can be found on the Consumer Complaint Process page.
Toby Snell, Board Director
Ashlee Gentry, Assistant Director
Phone Number: (317) 232-2960
- Statutes & Rules
Licensure Law and Administrative Rules governing this profession are found in various parts of the Indiana Code. The Indiana Professional Licensing Agency provides access to the Licensure Law and Administrative Rules, available by clicking on the links below:
INDIANA CODE § 25-21.8 - Massage Therapists
- Chapter 1. Definitions
- Chapter 2. State Board of Massage Therapy
- Chapter 3. Powers and Duties of the Board
- Chapter 4. Issuance of Certification
- Chapter 5. Certification by Endorsement
- Chapter 6. Certification Renewal
- Chapter 7. Discipline and Violations
- Chapter 8. Preemption of Local Ordinances, Resolutions, Rules, and Policies
Title 25, Article 1 - Professions and Occupations
Title 847 STATE BOARD OF MASSAGE THERAPY
- Article 1 - Massage Therapist Licensure
- Rule 1. Definitions
- Rule 2. Standards of Competent Practice
- Rule 3. Certification (Repealed)
- Rule 4. Compliance with Standards; Failure to Comply (Repealed)
- Rule 5. Continuing Education Requirements
- Title 847, Article 2 - Fees
- Rule 1. Fees; Certification, Renewal, Verification