Language Translation
  Close Menu

Engineering Resources

Additional Resources for Engineering

  • Statutes & Rules

    INDIANA CODE ยง 25-31 – Professional Engineers

    • Chapter 1.       Regulation of Engineers; Creation of Board

    INDIANA CODE 25-1 – Professions and Occupations

    • Chapter 1.       Evidence of License Applicant's Payment of Personal Property Taxes Required
    • Chapter 1.1.    Effect of Criminal Convictions on Licensed or Registered Persons
    • Chapter 1.2     Effect of Delinquency in Child Support Payments on Licensed or Registered Persons
    • Chapter 2.       Renewal of Licenses Granted by State Agencies. Notice of Expiration
    • Chapter 3.       Civil Immunity of Regulatory Agencies
    • Chapter 4.       Continuing Education
    • Chapter 6.       Professional Licensing Agency
    • Chapter 7.       Investigation and Prosecution of Complaints Concerning Regulated Occupations
    • Chapter 8.       Occupational and Professional Licensure, Registration, and Certification Fees
    • Chapter 11.     Professional Licensing Standards of Practice
    • Chapter 12.     Renewal of Licenses Held by Individuals in Military Service;
    • Chapter 14.     Meetings
    • Chapter 16.     Evaluation of Regulated Occupations


    Title 864, Article 1.1 – General Provisions

    • Rule 1.      General Provisions
    • Rule 2.      Qualifications for Examination
    • Rule 3.      Applications
    • Rule 4.      Examinations (Repealed)
    • Rule 4.1.   Examinations
    • Rule 5.      Comity Registration
    • Rule 6.      Certificates
    • Rule 7.      Registrant’s Seal
    • Rule 8.      Renewal
    • Rule 9.      Roster
    • Rule 10.    Temporary Permit (Repealed)
    • Rule 11.    Rules of Professional Conduct
    • Rule 12.    Fees
    • Rule 13.    Land Surveying; Competent Practice (Repealed)
    • Rule 14.    Limited Liabilty Company Practice
    • Rule 15.    Continuing Education
  • Continuing Education Requirements

    Pursuant to 864 IAC 1.1-15-1, a licensee is not required to seek authorization from the board before fulfilling their continuing education requirements. Hours completed by licensees are subject, however, to the statutes and rules below. Although prior authorization is not required before attending a course, the board has discretion to approve or deny courses at any time.

    For your reference, "Approved organization," as described in IC 25-1-4-0.2, refers to the following:
    (1) United States Department of Education.
    (2) Council on Post-Secondary Education.
    (3) Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals.
    (4) Joint Commission on Healthcare Organizations.
    (5) Federal, state, and local government agencies.
    (6) A college or other teaching institution accredited by the United States Department of Education or the Council on Post-Secondary Education
    (7) A national organization of practitioners whose members practicing in Indiana are subject to regulation by a board or agency regulating a profession or occupation under this title.
    (8) A national, state, district, or local organization that operates as an affiliated entity under the approval of an organization listed in subdivisions (1) through (7).
    (9) An internship or residency program conducted in a hospital that has been approved by an organization listed in subdivisions (1) through (7).
    (10) Any other organization or individual approved by the board.

    Rule 15. Continuing Education
    864 IAC 1.1-15-1 Continuing education
    Authority: IC 25-1-4-8; IC 25-31-1-17.5
    Affected: IC 25
    Sec. 1. This rule establishes the continuing education requirements for professional engineers. (State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers; 864 IAC 1.1-15-1; filed Jul 19, 2010, 11:22 a.m.: 20100818-IR-864090788FRA)

    864 IAC 1.1-15-2 Definitions
    Authority: IC 25-1-4-8; IC 25-31-1-17.5
    Affected: IC 25-1-4-0.2; IC 25-1-4-0.5.
    Sec. 2. (a) As used in this rule, "biennium" means a two (2) year licensure period during which continuing education requirements must be met. It:
    (1) commences on August 1 of an even-numbered year; and
    (2) concludes on July 31 of the next even-numbered year.
    (b) Based on IC 25-1-4-0.5 and as used in this rule, "continuing education" means an orderly process of instruction that is:
    (1) approved by an approved organization (as defined in IC 25-1-4-0.2) or the board; and
    (2) designed to directly enhance a professional engineer's knowledge and skill in providing services relevant to the practice of engineering.
    The activities described in section 4 of this rule qualify as continuing education if they augment the professional engineer's knowledge and skill in providing services relevant to the practice of engineering.
    (c) As used in this rule, "hour of continuing education" means at least fifty (50) minutes of instruction or course contact time. "Hours of continuing education" has the same meaning for the number of hours stated. An alternate term for an hour of continuing education that is used nationally with continuing education for professional engineers is professional development hour or PDH.

    864 IAC 1.1-15-3 Continuing education hours required
    Authority: IC 25-1-4-8; IC 25-31-1-17.5
    Affected: IC 25-1-4
    Sec. 3. (a) Except for holders of an inactive certificate under section 9 of this rule, during each biennium a professional engineer shall complete thirty (30) hours of continuing education that meets the requirements of this rule and IC 25-1-4 in order to renew his or her professional engineer registration. This continuing education requirement first applies to the biennium of August 1, 2010, through July 31, 2012, and therefore first applies to the July 31, 2012, renewal.
    (b) At least one (1) hour of the continuing education required in each biennium under subsection (a) shall be in ethics applicable to the practice of professional engineering.
    (c) At least one (1) hour of the continuing education required in each biennium under subsection (a) shall be in Indiana statutes and rules applicable to the practice of professional engineering.
    (d) A professional engineer initially licensed in Indiana in the first year of a biennium shall only be required to obtain fifteen (15) hours of continuing education. A professional engineer initially licensed in Indiana in the second year of a biennium shall not be required to obtain any continuing education.
    (e) Up to fifteen (15) hours of continuing education obtained during a biennium beyond what is required for that biennium may be carried over to the next biennium.

  • FAQs
    • Question: Can the FE or PE exam be wavied?
      • Answer: Per the code below, the FE or PE exam cannot be waived:
        • IC 25-31-1-14 Examination; reexamination
          Sec. 14. (a) The examination required of all applicants for registration as a professional engineer shall be a written or computer based examination which shall be divided into the following two (2) parts:
          • (1) Engineering fundamentals.
          • (2) Principles and practice of engineering.
    • Question: How can I obtain a verification of my license?
      • Answer: You will have to purchase a digital verification from the Online Services located HERE.  Once you have purchased the digital verification you will need to email the verification to and inform the board as to which board the verification needs to receive the information.
    • Question: What are the requirements for professional engineer registration?
      • Answer: One must graduate from an approved engineer curriculum followed by fours years of experience. Please review the rules and statutes for the education, experience and exam requirements.
    • Question: What is a supplemental form? 
      • Answer: A supplemental form is used for applicants that may have a technology degree, graduated from a non ABET accredited program, or is a foreign degree applicant.  If you fall into one of the above categories a supplemental form is needed to complete your application.  Please include all relevant education on the supplemental form. The supplemental form is listed with the Professional Engineer application.
    • Question: What are the requirements for references?
      • Answer: You must submit an application, including five references completed on the reference form listed with the application instruction. Three must be from professional engineers. You must also submit certification from the state in which you received your license, showing proof of EI and PE, along with college transcripts and also complete part three of the examination (a written test on Indiana license law).
    • Question: How does one become licensed as a professional corporation?
      • Answer: If your corporation is an LLC, INC, Limited, PC or PA you will need to register with the Secretary of State.
    • Question: When does registration as an Engineer Intern (EI) expire?
      • Answer: There is no expiration or renewal of registration for an Engineer Intern.
    • Question: How do I get my seal?
      • Answer: Seals are sold at stationery stores, or where they make rubber stamps. See 864 IAC 1.1-7-2, for rules of design and content.
    • Question: After the board has approved my application, how do I get licensed?
      • Answer: You will be sent a letter informing you of your approval and to submit an issuance fee.  Once the issuance fee is received your license will be issued.
    • Question: How often are the exams administered?
      Answer: You will need to contact NCEES for the written and CBT exam schedule.
    • Question: How can I order a wall certificate?
    • Question: Who should I make my check payable to?
      • Answer: Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (IPLA.)
    • Question: How long before I receive my pocket card?
      • Answer: You can order a pocket card or print a free license card by logging into your account at
  • Sample Seal
  • Scope of Practice Rulings

    Licensed practitioners that have a specific question or questions about the scope of practice of their licensed profession may request a "practice ruling" from the Indiana Professional Licensing Agency (PLA) and the Indiana State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers (the Board). The PLA and the Board may provide a formal determination/interpretation based on the practitioner's factual situations/circumstances. Licensed practitioners may submit a "Request for Practice Ruling" through the web-based form provided on the PLA's "Request for Practice Ruling" web page. Additional information and instructions for submitting a "Request for Practice Ruling " are provided on the web page.

    All requests will be reviewed by the PLA's legal team, and PLA's legal team will draft a ruling for the Board's consideration and potential adoption. All rulings adopted by the Board will be posted to the Indiana Register as well as the comprehensive list provided on the the PLA's "Request for Practice Ruling" web page.

 Top FAQs