Additional Resources for Athletic Trainers
- Statutes & Rules
INDIANA CODE § 25-5.1 – Athletic Trainers
- Chapter 1. Definitions
- Chapter 2. Indiana Athletic Trainers Certification Board
- Chapter 3. Certification; Examination
- Chapter 4. Unlawful Practice
INDIANA CODE § 25-1 – General Provisions
- Chapter 1. Evidence of License Applicant's Payment of Personal Property Taxes Required
- Chapter 1.1. Effect of Criminal Convictions on Licensed or Registered Persons
- Chapter 1.2 Effect of Delinquency in Child Support Payments on Licensed or Registered Persons
- Chapter 2. Renewal of Licenses Granted by State Agencies. Notice of Expiration
- Chapter 3. Civil Immunity of Regulatory Agencies
- Chapter 4. Continuing Education
- Chapter 5. Professional Licensing Agency
- Chapter 5.5. Electronic Registry of Professions
- Chapter 6 Professional Licensing Agency Functions and Duties
- Chapter 7. Investigation and Prosecution of Complaints Concerning Regulated Occupations
- Chapter 8. Occupational and Professional Licensure, Registration, and Certification Fees
- Chapter 9. Health Professions Standards of Practice
- Chapter 10. Reserved
- Chapter 12. Renewal of Licenses Held by Individuals in Military Service
- Chapter 14. Meetings
- Chapter 15. Exemptions for Athletic Organization Practitioners Licensed in Other Jurisdictions
INDIANA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE
Title 898, Article 1 – Athletic Trainers; Licensure
- Rule 1. Definitions
- Rule 2. Licensure
- Rule 3. Fees
- Rule 4. Supervision
- Rule 5. Standards for the Competent Practice of Athletic Training
- Rule 6. Continuing Education
- Continuing Education Requirements
Continuing Education needed for renewal on December of every odd year
Licensed Athletic Trainers are required to obtain fifty (50) units of NATABOC continuing education between January 1 of every even year and December 31 of every odd year. Licensed Athletic Trainers should maintain records of attendance at appropriate continuing education events for a minimum of four years past the date of the event attended. If selected in a random audit by the Professional Licensing Agency, licensees will need to submit these documents as proof of having met the continuing education requirements.
Please review the following rule carefully, as it will help clarify the above requirements. Please note that there are some circumstances in which the above requirements may not apply. Further explanation of this may be found in the following rule.
The following is not an official version of the Indiana Administrative Code. It was last reviewed 1/5/2015.
Rule 6. Continuing Education
898 IAC 1-6-1 Continuing education
Authority: IC 25-5.1-2-6
Affected: IC 25-5.1
Sec. 1. (a) A holder of a license issued under IC 25-5.1 shall be required to complete fifty (50) units of BOC approved continuing education for each biennial renewal period. One (1) unit of continuing education is equal to one (1) clock hour.
(b) If the license holder has been licensed for less than one (1) full year at the time of their first renewal, they shall be required to complete twenty-five (25) units of BOC approved continuing education. If the license holder has been licensed for less than six (6) months at the time of their first renewal, they shall not be required to complete the continuing education requirement.
c) Continuing education:
- (1) must be obtained within the biennial renewal period in which the licensee is applying for; and
- (2) may not be carried over from one (1) biennial renewal period to another.
(d) The licensee must retain a record of the continuing education required by this rule for four (4) years following the end of the biennial renewal period in which it was obtained.
(e) The board may require additional evidence demonstrating the license holder's compliance with the continuing education requirements of this rule. This additional evidence shall be required in the context of a random audit. It is the responsibility of the license holder to do the following:
- (1) Verify that the continuing education obtained to meet the continuing education required for the renewal of his or her license has been approved by BOC.
- (2) Retain or otherwise produce evidence of compliance.
(Indiana Athletic Trainers Board; 898 IAC 1-6-1; filed Mar 25, 1999, 4:28 p.m.: 22 IR 2532; filed Jun 5, 2001, 2:30 p.m.: 24 IR 3069; filed Jan 26, 2007, 11:03 a.m.: 20070221-IR-898060142FRA)