NIPSCO Electric Rates
Pending cases for Northern Indiana Public Service Company’s (NIPSCO’s) electric utility include its:
- Pending fuel cost adjustment (IURC Cause No. 38706 FAC 138)
- Proposed 2024-2026 Energy Efficiency Plan (IURC Cause No. 45849)
- Rate Case (IURC Cause No. 45772)
- Financing Request (IURC Cause No. 45737)
- Coal ash compliance project: Schahfer (IURC Cause No. 45797)
- Coal ash compliance project: Michigan City (IURC Cause No. 45700)
- Trackers under its approved 7-year infrastructure plan (IURC Cause No. 44733)
In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric bills, NIPSCO's monthly bill for 1,000 kWh ranked third-highest among the utilities under Commission jurisdiction.
Base rates cover most infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs while rate adjustment “trackers,” as described below, allow for more frequent rate changes for specific costs as designated by law. The trackers were re-set when NIPSCO's current base rates were approved in 2019 and are still subject to adjustments every three, six, or 12 months.
For information on NIPSCO’s pending rate case, click here.
Current base rates for NIPSCO's electric utility were approved in 2019.
In addition to base rates, Indiana electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." Rate adjustments via trackers are reviewed by the OUCC and approved by the IURC on a quarterly, semi-annual or annual basis.
NIPSCO uses the following trackers, which comprised approximately 24.6% percent of a residential customer’s typical bill as of December 2022. All filings are available by entering the cause number in the IURC's Online Services Portal.
Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No. Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal and other fuels Quarterly 38706 Transmission, Distribution & Storage System Improvement Charge (TDSIC) Projects in 7-year infrastructure plan Semi-Annual 44733 Demand Side Management (DSM) Energy efficiency programs Annual 43618 Resource Adequacy Adjustment (RA) Capacity resources needed for system reliability Semi-Annual 44155 Regional Transmission Operator (RTO) Participation in Midcontinent Independent Transmission System Operator (MISO) Semi-Annual 44156 Federally Mandated Cost Adjustment (FMCA) Critical infrastructure protection Semi-Annual 44340 Green Power Rider (GPR)
Program allowing customers to voluntarily buy renewable energy credits
Previous NIPSCO cases include:
- Distributed generation tariff (IURC Cause No. 45505)
- Current fuel cost adjustment (Cause No. 38706 FAC 137)
- Fuel cost adjustment (Cause No. 38706 FAC 136)
- Schahfer Generation Station subdocket (Cause No. 38706 FAC 130-S1)
- 2021-2026 infrastructure plan (Cause No. 45557)
- Energy efficiency plan (Cause No. 45456)
- Renewable energy proposals (Various cause nos.)
- COVID-19 investigation (Cause No. 45380)
- 2017 Tax Cuts & Jobs Act investigation (Cause No. 45032)
- Coal combustion residuals compliance project (Cause No.44872)
The seven percent state sales tax applies to all Indiana electric utilities.