Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) Rates
In the most recent IURC survey of residential electric utility rates, Indiana Michigan Power (I&M) ranked third-highest among the 13 electric utilities under the IURC’s jurisdiction.
As of July 2019, approximately 87 percent of a typical I&M residential customer’s bill paid the base rate (which traditionally covers most infrastructure and operating/maintenance costs) with the remaining 13 percent being recovered through rate adjustment “trackers,” as described below.*
I&M is seeking a base rate increase in a newly filed case (IURC Cause No. 45235). For more information, please click here.
In a May 30, 2018 order, the IURC approved a settlement agreement among the OUCC and additional parties in I&M's most recent base rate case (IURC Cause No. 44967). For more information, please click here.
I&M has received IURC approval of its plans to add new emission control equipment at its Rockport Generating Facility in southwestern Indiana, along with approval to recover the project’s costs through rates. More information is available at www.in.gov/oucc/2869.htm.
In 2013, I&M received IURC approval to install new pollution control equipment (for sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide) at its Rockport facility as required by a federal consent decree. The Commission's order approved a settlement agreement among the OUCC, the I&M Industrial Group, and I&M. For more information, visit www.in.gov/oucc/2673.htm.
I&M received IURC approval for its Life Cycle Management (LCM) project at its D.C. Cook Nuclear Plant in Bridgman, Michigan on July 17, 2013, including rate recovery of approximately $1.146 billion over the long term. I&M is recovering these costs through a new tracker.
Approximately 65 percent of Cook’s energy is dedicated to Indiana customers. For more information on this case, visit www.in.gov/oucc/2710.htm.
In cases initiated under a 2013 law, I&M requested approval of a 7-year, $787 million plan for infrastructure improvements, along with incremental rate increases. The IURC denied the request in May 2015. To learn more, please visit www.in.gov/oucc/2804.htm.
In addition to base rates, I&M and other electric utilities recover and credit separate, specific costs through rate adjustment mechanisms known as "trackers." Rate adjustments via trackers are reviewed by the OUCC and approved by the IURC on a semi-annual or annual basis.
Clean Energy Solar Project
In IURC Cause No. 44511, I&M requested IURC permission to build, own and operate five solar generating facilities totaling about 16 megawatts. I&M requested approval of a new Solar Power Rider through which it would recover costs for the solar projects. In testimony, I&M estimated an impact of about $38 million on ratepayers. I&M also requested approval of a separate Green Power Rider, through which customers could voluntarily support additional solar development.
I&M's testimony and exhibits are available by visiting the IURC's Electronic Document System and entering cause number 44511. The OUCC recommended approval of the proposal with modifications and specific reporting requirements. The IURC issued its order in February 2015.
Capacity Settlement Tracker
In I&M’s last base rate case (Cause No. 44075), the IURC authorized the creation of a new Capacity Settlement Rider (CSR). This new tracker, to be updated annually, is designed to allow I&M to recover variances in costs relating to a generation capacity pooling agreement among American Electric Power (AEP) utilities in various states.
I&M received IURC permission to implement this new tracker (IURC Cause No. 44422) in July 2014. The OUCC, in its testimony, requested a gradual “phase-in” of the proposed increase.
In addition, I&M is offering energy efficiency programs under IURC orders.
I&M uses the following trackers:
Tracker Recovers Costs for Frequency IURC Cause No. Fuel Adjustment Clause (FAC) Coal, nuclear and other fuel costs Semi-Annual 38702 Environmental Cost Recovery (ECR) Emissions control equipment (including operations & maintenance) Annual 44331, 44523, 43992 Demand Side Management (DSM) Energy efficiency programs Annual 43827 Off-System Sales (OSS) Power sales to the wholesale market Annual 43775 PJM Interconnection (PJM) Regional transmission costs Annual 43774 Life Cycle Management (LCM) Construction costs for pre-approved Cook nuclear plant projects Annual 44182 Capacity Settlement Rider (CSR) Cost variances relating to an AEP capacity pooling agreement Annual 44422
All publicly filed documents can be reviewed by visiting the IURC's electronic document system and entering the appropriate docket number.
* Rankings and examples refer to monthly usage of 1,000 kWh in the IURC’s 2019 Residential Bill Survey, based on July 1, 2019 billings.