But when you're done reading it, click the close button in the corner to dismiss this alert.


But when you're done reading it, click the close button in the corner to dismiss this alert.


Agency Links Links

Family Supports Waiver

Family Supports HCBS Waiver (FSW)

The Family Supports HCBS waiver provides limited, non-residential supports to individuals with developmental disabilities who live with their families or in other settings with informal supports.


You must meet HCBS waiver eligibility and Medicaid eligibility guidelines in order to be eligible for a Medicaid HCBS waiver.  To be eligible you must be:

  • Diagnosed as having an intellectual disability prior to the age of 22
  • Meet the ICF/IID level of care
  • Reside in or transitioning into an HCBS-compliant setting (non-institutionalized)
  • Income must not exceed 300% of maximum Supplemental Security Income (SSI) amount (parental income for children under 18 years of age is disregarded)

For more information on eligibility, see the Eligibility Guide.

What is ICF/IID Level of Care?

To be eligible for intellectual disability services, an individual must meet the required "ICF/IID level of care."  Level of care is the minimum need an individual must have to be considered eligible for HCBS waiver services. Level of care is evaluated both when you apply and then at least once a year after that. For the purposes of ICF/IID level of care, a person must have a disability that:

  • Results in impairment of functioning similar to that of a person who is intellectually disabled, including autism spectrum disorder, epilepsy, cerebral palsy, or a similar condition (other than mental illness)
  • Originates before the person is twenty-two (22) years of age
  • Has continued or is expected to continue indefinitely
  • Substantially limits a person's ability to function normally in society in three of the six major life areas: self-care, receptive and expressive language, learning, mobility, self-direction, and capacity for independent living
  • Requires access to 24-hour assistance, as needed

Available Services- Family Supports HCBS waiver

  • Adult Day Services
  • Behavioral Support Services
  • Case Management
  • Community-Based Habilitation- Group
  • Community-Based Habilitation- Individual
  • Extended Services
  • Facility-Based Habilitation-Group
  • Facility-Based Habilitation-Individual
  • Facility-Based Support Services
  • Family & Caregiver Training
  • Intensive Behavioral Support
  • Music Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Participant Assistance and Care
  • Personal Emergency Response System
  • Physical Therapy
  • Prevocational Services
  • Psychological Therapy
  • Recreational Therapy
  • Respite
  • Specialized Medical Equipment & Supplies
  • Speech/ Language Therapy
  • Transportation Services
  • Workplace Assistance


When should I apply?

It is helpful to apply as soon as you identify a need for waiver services.

Where do I apply?

First, go to your local Bureau of Developmental Disabilities Services (BDDS) District Office. There are 8 BDDS District Offices throughout the State. You must also apply for Medicaid. You can learn more about applying for Medicaid by going to the Apply for Medicaid webpage.

What is available while I am waiting for services?

Families waiting for FSW waiver services are eligible to receive a small amount of Care Giver Support Services (i.e. Respite) each year. Your local BDDS office can provide information and a listing of providers for this service. Contact your local BDDS office directly to find out how to access Care Giver Support funding while waiting for a waiver slot.

News & Announcements