- Do I need a septic permit?
You will need a septic permit, issue by the Orange County Health Department, prior to repairing, replacing, constructing, or otherwise altering your septic system.
- How much will my septic permit cost me?
Permits for new construction are $100. Permits for Repairs are $50.
- What is a failing septic system?
A failing septic system is a system which exhibits one or more of the following:
- The system does not accept sewage at the rate of design application thereby interfering with the normal use of the plumbing in the home, such as gurgling toilets, back-up of drains, slow drains, etc.
- The system does not accept sewage at the rate of design application thereby causing ponding, seepage, or other discharge of effluent to the ground surface or to surface waters.
- Effluent is discharged from the system thereby causing contamination of a water source. This includes those system which do not have a leach field (or drain into a field tile), aeration unit, or sand filter.
- Is my current system legal?
If your system does not have a septic tank and an absorption field (leach field), it is not legal. If your system drains to a field tile, drain, creek, stream, side-ditch, or something other than a leach field, it is not legal. If your system consists of an aeration unit, or a sand filter, which is not connected to a leach field, it is not legal.