Language Translation
  Close Menu

Birth Records

For your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company; VitalCheck Network, Inc. VitalCheck does charge an additional fee for this service, and all major credit cards are accepted; including; American Express ©, Discover ©, MasterCard ©, or Visa ©.

For walk-in and mail requests please print out the Birth Application form. All applications done through the mail must be notarized before being sent in. There is a $10 fee for each birth record requested; we accept cash, check, or money order.

Forms of Identification accepted:

  • Valid Drivers License
  • Social Security Card
  • State Identification
  • Passport
  • Motor Vehicle Registration
  • Work ID w/ Signature
  • Military ID w/ Signature
  • School ID w/ Signature
  • Library Card w/ Signature
  • Gun Permit w/ Signature
  • Fishing License w/ Signature

NOTE: Other documents may be accepted at the discretion of the Registrar. A person, who has no form of Identification, should ask someone on the eligible persons list to obtain the record.

Persons Eligible to Obtain Certified Copies of Birth Certificates

Legitimate Birth Records: (all must show proof)

  • Individual named on the record (must be over age 18)
  • Parents of the person named on the record
  • Brothers and Sisters (must show proof)
  • Grandparents
  • Spouse
  • Children
  • Court Appointed Legal Guardian (must provide guardianship papers)
  • An attorney representing person named on record (must have I.D. for self and I.D./permission note from person named on record)
  • Caseworker from Division of Family & Children with court-appointed guardianship papers
  • Law Enforcement personnel with I.D. and a court order
  • Other county agencies left up to the discretion of the registrar & the local health department

Illegitimate Birth Records:

  • Individual named on the record (must be over age 18)
  • Mother of the person named on the record
  • Father of the person named on the record (name must appear on the record)

NOTE: If an individual under the age of 18 wishes to request a certificate, he/she must have a written permission note from a parent or guardian, authorizing the release of a birth certificate to a specified person. The written statement must include a parent or guardian's signature and be accompanied by acceptable I.D. The individual under age 18 must also provide acceptable I.D.

All adoption birth certificates must be obtained through the Indiana State Department of Health.