Language Translation
  Close Menu


  • How can I get a birth or death certificate?

    You can get a birth or death certificate by either coming into our office or by mailing a request. You will need to provide birth/death information, payment, and identification for yourself. Print out the form and fill it out, return it to our office, or provide the following information:

    • For a Birth Certificate: Name at birth, date of birth, parents' names, mother's maiden name, and the state each parent was born in. Include identification for yourself. A copy of a current driver's license is sufficient or send another signature/picture identification. Include payment for the certificate: $15.00 for a combo certificate (includes regular size and laminated wallet size). The passport office does not recommend lamination of birth certificates if applying for a passport.
    • For a Death Certificate: Provide the name of the deceased and the date of death. Indicate the number of copies needed. Include payment: $15.00 for each copy requested.
  • How can I add the father of my child to his birth certificate?

    If the birth occurred in Hancock County, you will need to call and set up an appointment to come into the office to complete a Paternity Affidavit to make this correction. Both parents will need to come in. If mother was married before she will need to provide a copy of her divorce decree. If the parents have married since the child's birth you may both come into the office to fill out a Paternity Affidavit upon Marriage. You will need to call for an appointment and be sure to bring your marriage certificate. Another way to add father's name is by contacting the Prosecutor's office and following their procedure.

    If the name is wrong on a birth or death certificate- how can get it changed? Call our office for an appointment. On a birth certificate (as long as the person is still living) we need three documents at least 10 years old showing the correct way the name should be. We then file an affidavit of amendment and change the record.

  • How can I get a copy of my birth certificate if I don't have any identification?

    A family member can get a copy for you by providing their identification. We can issue to parents, grandparents, or siblings (must be 18 years of age).

  • How do I find genealogy records?

    Come into our office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. to check our indexes to see if the records are available. Our records go back to 1882 for births and deaths. Or you can write to our once with a list of records that you are looking for. We will check the indexes and provide you with a list of what is available. We do not photocopy records. We charge $15.00 for each birth certificate and $15.00 for each death certificate.

    These are certified copies that we type from the birth/death registers. All information will be typed on the certificate as listed in the register. Other sources for genealogy records are:

    Greenfield Public Library
    900 W. McKenzie Road.
    Greenfield, IN 46140
    (317) 477-5141

    Indiana State Library
    Genealogy Division
    140 N. Senate Avenue
    Indianapolis, IN 46204

    Hancock County Historical Society
    28 N. Apple Street
    Greenfield, IN 46140
    (317) 326-5255, Elayne Stewart

    We also have a book of Tombstone Inscriptions, 1833-1933. This is also available at the Greenfield Public Library.

  • What is the procedure for installation of a septic system?
  • What is the cost of soil borings?

    Soil Borings are the responsibility of the Homeowner or Contractor. A list of soil scientists can be found here.

  • Is there a time limit on soil boring results?

    No, not as long as the soil is not disturbed.

  • What is the cost of Septic Permits?

    Septic Permits cost $100. See The Application Process for Septic Systems for payment break down and further questions.

  • Is there a time limit on Septic Permits?

    Yes, septic permits expire one year from the date of issue.