Planning for Your Long Term Care Needs
- Good News – We Are Living Longer
- Bad News – We Are Living Longer
- 7 out of 10 individuals will need Home Health Care some time during their lives.
- Currently, 40% of those using long term care services in the U.S. are between the ages of 18 and 64.
- Overall, individuals living over the age of 65 will have a 60-70% chance of needing some type of long term care service
As a population, we are living longer because of healthier lifestyles, new medical technology, and drug treatments. These medical advances enable us to live with a mental or physical condition longer than ever before. A 65 year old individual today is expected to live well into his/her late 80’s. Because we are aging and living longer, our ability to perform normal activities of daily living could be hindered due to a medical issue. Long term care services assist an individual with everyday activities such as eating, bathing, dressing, and mobility that are hindered because of a medical or mental condition.
The Indiana Long Term Care Insurance Program (ILTCIP) is an innovative working partnership between the State of Indiana and private long term care insurance companies. Indiana has taken the lead in helping its residents protect their hard-earned life savings from the high cost of long term care by promoting the awareness of long term care.
All long term care insurance policies available from insurance companies are not the same. Policies are approved by the Indiana Department of Insurance as meeting required state statutes. “Partnership policies” offer the consumer additional benefits for their long term care needs and protection for their savings. In addition, Partnership insurance policies qualify for a state tax deduction helping Hoosiers to protect even more of their savings.