Language Translation
  Close Menu

Frequently Asked Questions

1. I want to fight as an amateur mixed martial artist.  What exactly do I need to get from the Commission?
All you need to get from the Commission is a National ID card.  You can find the application with all of the instructions here.

2. How quickly can I get my National ID card?
Assuming you have provided all of the necessary information, we can issue your card immediately.  If you come into our office, you will leave with your card within minutes.  Otherwise, we will mail it out to your residence that is listed on the application.

3. Do I need to obtain a license from the Commission if I want to corner an amateur mixed martial artist?
No, only individuals cornering professional fighters need to obtain a license from the Commission.

4. If I am an amateur mixed martial artist, do I need to send my medicals to the Commission?
No, please keep your medicals with you and contact the sanctioning body who is regulating your event to see when you will need to present them.

5. If I have fought professionally in another jurisdiction or in Indiana before there was regulation, can I fight as an amateur?
No, by statute, once you have received more than $100 as a purse or prize for fighting, you are deemed to be a professional.

6. How old do I have to be to fight?
All professional boxers, professional mixed martial artists, and amateur mixed martial artists must be a minimum of 18 years of age.

7. Do I have to get a license from the Commission if I am going to serve as a judge or referee for an amateur bout?
No, the Commission only licenses judges and referees who are officiating professional bouts.

8. Does the Commission accept debit/credit cards for licensing fees, ticket tax payments, etc.?
No, we only accept cash, check, or money order.

9. I want to promote all-amateur mixed martial arts events.  Do I need to get a surety bond as part of my license application?
No, only promoters who have professional bouts on their card need to get a surety bond.

10. When can I renew my license?
All licenses can be renewed beginning 60 days prior to expiration.

11. What happens if I do not renew my license in time?
Your license will expire and you will need to renew it prior to any future participation at an event.  There is no penalty for renewing your license after it expires.

12. If a license expires on September 30th and I get my license on August 30th, does that mean my license is only good for 1 month?
No, any license that is issued during the 60 day renewal period is automatically pushed out to the next expiration date.

13. I want to promote a charity mixed martial arts event.  Do I still need to get a promoter's license?
Yes, any amateur/pro-am/professional mixed martial arts event & professional boxing event falls under our regulation, whether it be for profit or charity.