Lead Service Line Inventory Funding
Help Line for Community Water Systems that serve <1,000 service connections
All Community Water Systems with less than 1,000 service connections (and Non-transient Non-Community Water Systems) have access to free LSL Inventory Technical Assistance provided by the Alliance of Indiana Rural Water and its partner, Arcadis. One of the services being offered is a “Ask a Specialist” help session, which is available 1:00-3:00pm EST every Wednesday from May 31, 2023 – October 16, 2024. Use Teams to join or call into the help session anytime during each meeting of open ‘virtual” office hours. No appointment necessary. Click here for a link to the session. For more information about the free LSL Inventory Technical Assistance provided by the Alliance of Indiana Rural Water and how to obtain assistance visit the Alliance’s website.
This application is for Community Water Systems that serve >1,000 service connections.
Before you begin, please be sure you have:
- Reviewed the IFA Program Guidance and FAQs on our website.
- Used the IFA LSL Inventory Application Checklist to prepare the information needed to enter into this application.
- Executed the Scope of Work Certification Form (Type I & II only)
- Submitted an Inventory to IDEM' s PWS Portal (Type II & III only)
- Executed the Inventory Submittal Certification Form ( Type II and III only)
Tips for using the online application:
- Do not start an application until you are ready to submit. Use the PDF of the application on the website to review ahead of time.
- Utilize the " Save and Continue later" function needed.
- Do not resubmit an application. If you are not sure if you already submitted, please email us at LSLIgrants@ifa.in.gov
- If you need to add info to an existing application, do not resubmit. Email LSLIgrants@ifa.in.gov and we will update your information.
- Please submit one application per PWSID per funding.
If desired, download a PDF to preview before submitting online.
Link to online application:http://s.alchemer.com/s3/IFA-LSL-Inventory-Grant-Program-Interest-Survey
For the purpose of this application only, submitting a complete lead service line inventory to the IDEM "Portal" is considered submitting a complete inventory to IDEM. This is a different step from submitting to the IDEM "State Dashboard". For questions about the IDEM Portal, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or DWBMGR@idem.in.gov
The Indiana Finance Authority (IFA) is pleased to announce new funding opportunities available to water utilities seeking assistance in completing a Lead Service Line (LSL) Inventory. The IFA recognizes that all Non-transient Non-Community Water Systems and all Community Water Systems are required to submit a LSL inventory prior to October 16, 2024, which is the Environmental Protection Agency’s compliance deadline for the Lead & Copper Rule Revisions. The Indiana Department of Environmental Management will collect LSL data using its LSL Inventory reporting template and online reporting portal; this template and its instructions can be found here. To assist Indiana water systems with Lead Service Line Inventory needs, the IFA will offer three different funding paths:
- All Non-transient Non-Community Water Systems (NTNCWS ) and Community Water Systems (CWS) with less than 1,000 service connections will have access to a free LSL Inventory Technical Assistance Program managed by the Alliance of Indiana Rural Water. With financial support from the IFA, the Alliance and its partners will offer free training and hands-on assistance completing inventories. More information about the program and how to obtain assistance will be featured on Alliance’s website in Spring of 2023. See the “Alliance” box in Figure 1.
- All CWS pursuing financial assistance from the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Loan Program can add the cost of LSL Inventory work to their applications. See the “SRF” box in Figure 1.
- CWS with greater than 1,000 service connections are eligible for IFA’s LSL Inventory Funding Program, which is the focus of this website. See the “IFA” box in Figure 1.
Figure 1: IFA’s three funding paths for assistance with Lead Service Line Inventory work. Arrows indicate that utilities can apply to multiple programs at the same time.
Summary of the IFA Lead Service Line (LSL) Inventory Funding Program
The IFA LSL Inventory Funding Program will be offered in two Rounds of to ensure communities have time to develop eligible projects. Approximately $7,000,000 will be available in total for both of the rounds. The Round 1 application period will be open from April 24, 2023 to June 9, 2023. The application period for Round 2 opens February 5, 2024.
The IFA has set up the LSL Inventory Funding Program in such a way that every utility that submits an application for eligible work will be awarded non-competitive funding for certain Project Types as long as appropriate application materials are submitted. The funds for the IFA LSL Inventory Funding Program will be distributed by Project Type and a utility’s number of service connections. The funding levels are the maximum amount a utility can apply for in the IFA LSL Inventory Funding Program (which means in aggregate for Round 1 and Round 2). See IFA LSL Guidance for more information.
For certain Project Types, the IFA will enter into a Professional Services Agreement with the Service Provider selected by the utility. This arrangement allows utilities to work with a Service Provider of their choice without having to encumber debt or administer a grant. Utilities will be asked to identify a Service Provider (i.e., third-party consultant, etc.) at the time of application and submit Scope of Work Certification signed by both Service Provider and utility, which ensures all parties agree to the project.
- IFA LSL Funding Program- April 18,2023 Webinar Presentation Slides
- IFA LSL Funding Program Guidance
- IFA LSL Funding Program FAQs
- IFA LSL Application Checklist
- IFA LSL Certification of Scope of Work Form
- IFA LSL Certification of Inventory Submittal Form
- IFA LSL Professional Services Agreement
- IFA LSL Certification of Project Completion Form
- IFA LSL Disbursement Request Form (Types I & II)
- IFA LSL Inventory Funding Closing Papers – coming soon
- IFA LSL Inventory Funding Announcement Email
For more information about:
- The IFA’s LSL Inventory Funding Program for CWS > 1,000 service connections, contact LSLIgrants@ifa.in.gov
- The Alliance’s Lead Inventory Technical Assistance Program for NTNCWS and CWS <1,000 service connections, contact the Alliance via their website
- The Drinking Water State Revolving Fund Loan Program, contact Brett Roberts at email@example.com