Info Agency Main Banner Content


Transferring Resident License from One State to Another


Agents moving to Indiana from other states must satisfy all licensing requirements applicable to resident agents. However, if the new resident agent was licensed for the same line(s) of authority in the agent's prior resident state, the agent will be exempt from any pre-licensing education and examination requirements. The following are steps the agent must follow in order to apply for a new resident producer license in Indiana:

1.   INACTIVATE PREVIOUS RESIDENT LICENSE. Inactivate previous resident license held in previous resident state either by cancellation/voluntary surrender of the license or by converting the resident license to a non-resident license, depending on the previous resident state's requirements. Indiana will verify on the National Insurance Producer Registry if the previous license has been inactivated. If the inactivation cannot be verified online, the agent will need to submit to IDOI verification from the previous resident state showing that the license was inactivated and in good standing. NOTE: The date of inactivation of the previous resident license must be no more than ninety (90) days prior to the date of application submission.

2.   APPLY FOR INDIANA RESIDENT LICENSE WITHIN 90 DAYS OF PREVIOUS LICENSE INACTIVATION. Apply for a new resident producer license in Indiana no more than ninety (90) days after inactivation of the previous resident license. The application may be done online through either www.sircon.com/Indiana or www.nipr.comNOTE: It may take up to 48 hours after inactivation of the previous resident license for the online application system to recognize the inactivation and allow for a new Indiana resident application  to be submitted.
NOTE FOR AGENTS WITH ACTIVE NON-RESIDENT LICENSES IN INDIANA: The online Indiana resident application will allow an individual with an active Indiana non-resident license to submit an application and update addresses with Indiana on the application. Once the application is approved, the active Indiana non-resident license will be inactivated and a new resident license issued.

Access Resident Agent Licensing Requirements


Agent must contact the new resident state the agent is transferring to for requirements on transferring the license. To cancel/voluntary surrender the resident Indiana license, submit the Service Request Form posted online at http://in.gov/idoi/2450.htm. Indiana no longer issues Letters of Clearance; a state may view a change in license status online through the National Insurance Producer Registry. If an agent wishes to obtain a non-resident producer license in Indiana, the agent must first obtain a resident license in the new resident state then apply for a new non-resident producer license, which may be done online through either www.sircon.com/Indiana or www.nipr.com.

Access Non-Resident Agent Licensing Requirements

Indiana Department of Insurance
311 West Washington Street
Indianapolis, Indiana  46204-2787