Correctional Officers are responsible for upholding orders and supervising offenders in a safe correctional environment. The officer will advise and instruct offenders in their adjustment to institutional living. Correctional officers are assigned to any one of several security posts on any of the established shifts.
Career opportunities within this specialty are:
- Correctional Officer
- Correctional Sergeant
- Correctional Lieutenant
- Correctional Captain
- Correctional Major
- Deputy Warden
A Day in Life:
The essential functions of this role are as follows:
- Monitor assigned areas at various intervals for the security of offenders, count of offenders, and security of buildings and grounds.
- Follow and ensure compliance with established security procedures.
- Manage offenders in various work details including general clean-up of institutional grounds and buildings.
- Escort offenders to and from various locations across the facility like for food, medicines, work assignment, and recreation.
- Keep records and make reports on such matters as offender’s movements, activities, and rule violations.
- Search offender housing areas and visitors for possible unauthorized items.
- The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time.
What We're Looking For:
- Candidates must meet the following requirements to be considered for employment
- Possession of a High School Diploma or High School Equivalent.
- At least eighteen (18) years of age.
- A valid driver's license.
- Test negative on all drug tests.
Benefits of Employment with the State of Indiana:
The State of Indiana offers a comprehensive benefits package for full-time employees which includes:
- Four (4) medical plan options (including RX coverage) and vision/dental coverages
- Wellness program (offers eligibility into a discounted medical plan)
- Health savings account (includes bi-weekly state contribution)
- Deferred compensation account (like 401k plan) with employer match
- Two (2) fully funded pension plan options
- Group life insurance
- Employee assistance program that allows for covered behavioral health visits
- Paid vacation, personal and sick time off
- Competitive leave policies covering a variety of employee needs
- 12 company paid holidays, 14 on election years
- Qualified employer for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- New Parent Leave
- Opportunity to be promoted within the agency based on performance
- High performers may be nominated for a Peer Leadership program to prepare them for a supervisory
- position, or may self-elect
- Additional Supervisory training includes DOC Supervisory Training, Leadership Academy, Custody
- Supervisor Training, and Experienced and Emerging Leadership training program
- Access to LinkedIn Learning, including hundreds of in-house learning opportunities