Close Menu

Main Content

Agency Main Banner Content

Storm Water Regulations, Permitting, and Information

The stormwater program is part of the Wetlands and Stormwater Section within the Office of Water Quality. Staff within these programs (stormwater and wetlands) administer their respective programs in relation to permitting, compliance, and outreach. Both program area staff also coordinate on across the program area.

For more information, contact IDEM's Stormwater Program.

Stormwater Permitting

The Stormwater Program is responsible for permitting and compliance for stormwater associated with industrial activity, stormwater associated with construction activity, and stormwater associated with municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s).

  • Construction/Land Disturbance Stormwater Permitting (327 IAC 15-5, Rule 5):
    • IDEM administers a general permit program that targets construction activities that result in land disturbance of one acre or more. 327 IAC 15-5 is intended to reduce pollutants, principally sediment, that are a result of soil erosion and other activities associated with land-disturbing activities.
    • An option to view projects with permit coverage under 327 IAC 15-5 (information, applications and terminations) is available on nSITE Explorer.
  • Industrial Stormwater Permitting (327 IAC 15-6, Rule 6):
    • • IDEM administers a general permit program that targets stormwater run-off associated with industrial activities. Requirements of this rule apply to specific categorical industrial facilities, which are exposed to stormwater.
  • Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (327 IAC 15-13, Rule 13):
    • • Under Phase I, this general permit rule was not necessary. Phase I applied to areas with a population greater than 100,000. Only the City of Indianapolis met Phase I criteria, and was issued an individual stormwater permit. Under Phase II, MS4 entities (cities, towns, universities, colleges, correctional facilities, hospitals, conservancy districts, homeowner's associations and military bases) located within urbanized areas, as delineated by the U.S. Census Bureau, or, for those MS4 areas outside of urbanized areas, serving a population greater than 7,000 are regulated.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs