Notice of Termination (NOT) / Permit Exclusions (Submittal and Eligibility)
A facility may terminate its coverage under Rule 6 for the following reasons: change in ownership; closure or cessation of industrial activities and operations, discharge to a combined sewer system, storm water does not have the potential to impact a water of the state, and no exposure of all facility activities exposed to storm water.
Rule 6 permits and no exposure exclusions are nontransferable. If a facility comes under new ownership or ceases operations, representatives from the current permit holder must submit a Notice of Termination (NOT) request within 30 days. If the NOT submittal is related to a transfer of ownership, the new ownership must apply for Rule 6 coverage or the no exposure exclusion within 60 days after the transfer.
A Notice of Termination / Exclusion (NOT/E) letter (State Form 54087, available on the IDEM Forms page) has been developed for facility's meeting the requirements for termination of a Rule 6 permit. The NOT/E letter contains specific instructions to assist the applicant in completing the NOT/E Letter. Always verify with the website to ensure that you are using the most current form. Please provide written notification to the agency by sending a letter and all supporting information to:
Indiana Department of Environmental Management
Attention: OWQ Rule 6 Program
100 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46204
The Notice of Termination must include the following information:
- Facility information: including the facility name, address, and permit number
- Contact information: including the responsible individual's complete name, title, address, phone number, and email address.
- Termination information: including the reason for termination, and date of termination.
- Certification: The written Notice of Termination must be signed by the responsible individual.
IDEM may conduct an inspection of a facility to confirm all storm water discharges associated with industrial activities have ceased or the facility qualifies for termination. If the information provided is incomplete or contains errors the termination will be denied, and the permittee will be responsible for continued permit compliance.
For additional information regarding termination, click on the applicable item below:
- Change in Ownership
- Closure or Cessation of Industrial Activities and Operations
- Discharge to a Combined Sewer System
- Storm Water Does Not Have the Potential to Impact a Water of the State
- No Exposure of all Facility Activities Exposed to Storm Water
For more information regarding the applicability requirements for 327 IAC 15-6, please contact the Storm Water Permit Coordinator.