The submittal of Notice of Intent (NOI) Form (State Form 47487) is required for all projects meeting the applicability requirements of 327 IAC 15-5 regardless of whether they are within or outside a designated MS4 entity. IDEM does not delegate their authority to administer Rule 5 to an MS4, but does recognize the local permitting process and plan review of the MS4 entities as a qualifying local program.
- Electronic submissions using the IDEM Regulatory ePortal will shorten processing time and issuance of the Notice of Sufficiency. All applicants are encouraged to move to the electronic system. Guidance on establishing an account and submitting a NOI online can be found on the Regulatory ePortal Guidance for Construction Stormwater Online page.
- For paper submissions always verify with the web site to ensure that you are using the most current form.
Note: A Notice of Intent (NOI) must be submitted a minimum of forty eight (48) hours prior to initiation of land-disturbing activities to meet the requirements of Rule 5. MS4s may have additional requirements that must be met prior to the submittal of the NOI. It is the responsibility of the project site owner to understand and meet these local requirements.
A separate NOI letter is required for each submitted Construction Plan, and the project site acreage identified in the Construction Plan must directly correspond to the acreage figures provided in the NOI submittal.
The NOI submittal must include all required information and the following:
- Proof of Publication: All projects are to be advertised in a newspaper of general circulation in the area that the project is located.
- General permit filing fee of $100: The fee may be paid by a check or money order made payable to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management. Please identify Rule 5 as the applicable program and identify the project name. Applicants filing online will be abler to pay by credit card or with an e-check.
- Plan Review Verification: The plan review verification is received from the plan review authority in response to the submittal of the Construction Plan. The response will typically include a document stating that the plan meets the minimum requirements of the Rule/MS4 Ordinance, a letter stating that the plan was received and the plan review was waived, or the 28-day review period has expired. Additional information regarding the plan review can be found at Construction Plan Submittal and Review.
To successfully aid in completing the Notice of Intent (NOI), the following guidance for completing the Notice of Intent has been developed.
The original NOI must be submitted to the Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM). The completed form and all attachments should be sent to the Storm Water Program.
A copy of the NOI letter should also be submitted to the plan review authority. The plan review authority will either be the SWCD or a local MS4.
For more information regarding the NOI submittal process, please contact the IDEM Storm Water Permits Coordinator.