Close Menu

Main Content

Agency Main Banner Content

Storm Water Regulations, Permitting, and Information

The storm water program is part of the Wetlands and Storm Water Section within the Office of Water Quality. Staff within these programs (storm water and wetlands) administer their respective programs in relation to permitting, compliance, and outreach. However, as part of the Section, staff from both program areas coordinate on projects for which activities may be associated with either program.

For more information, contact IDEM's Storm Water Section.

Storm Water Permitting

The Storm Water Program manages the permitting of large municipal storm water dischargers, storm water associated with industrial activity, storm water associated with construction activity, and storm water associated with municipal separate storm sewer systems (MS4s).

  • Construction/Land Disturbance Storm Water Permitting (327 IAC 15-5, Rule 5):
    • IDEM administers a general permit program that targets construction activities that result in land disturbance of one acre or more. 327 IAC 15-5 is intended to reduce pollutants, principally sediment, that are a result of soil erosion and other activities associated with land-disturbing activities.
  • Industrial Storm Water Permitting (327 IAC 15-6, Rule 6):
    • IDEM administers a general permit program that targets storm water run-off associated with industrial activities. Requirements of this rule apply to specific categorical industrial facilities, which are exposed to storm water.
  • Municipal Separate Storm Sewer Systems (327 IAC 15-13, Rule 13):
    • Under Phase I, this general permit rule was not necessary. Phase I applied to areas with a population greater than 100,000. Only the City of Indianapolis met Phase I criteria, and was issued an individual storm water permit. Under Phase II, MS4 entities (cities, towns, universities, colleges, correctional facilities, hospitals, conservancy districts, homeowner's associations and military bases) located within urbanized areas, as delineated by the U.S. Census Bureau, or, for those MS4 areas outside of urbanized areas, serving a population greater than 7,000 are regulated.

News and FAQs

Top FAQs