Wabash River Watershed TMDL
The Wabash River Watershed is located in Indiana, draining approximately 1438 square miles in multiple counties. Major streams included in the Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) report are the Wabash River.
Data were collected from the following organizations and agencies for analysis of the Wabash River TMDL:
- Bluffton Wastewater Treatment Facility
- Clinton Stream Reach Characterization Evaluation Report (SRCER)
- Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) Lake and Reservoir Enhancement (LARE) Study
- Indiana Department of Environmental Management (IDEM)
- Illinois EPA
- Lafayette SRCER
- North Manchester SRCER
- Peru SRCER
- Portland SRCER
- Redkey Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Hoosier Riverwatch
- Rock Creek Conservation District
- Sullivan SRCER
- Tippecanoe County Health Department
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- Veedersburg Wastewater Treatment Plant
- West Lafayette Wastewater Treatment Plant
- City of Decatur
- City of Lafayette
- City of Mount Vernon
- City of Portland
- City of Peru
- City of Huntington
The primary cause of impairment is Escherichia coli bacteria (E. coli) and nutrients. Pollution sources in the watershed include nonpoint sources from agriculture and pastures, land application of manure and urban and rural run-off, as well as point sources from straight pipe discharges, home sewage treatment system disposal and combined sewer overflow outlets.
TMDLs for the Wabash River Watershed are established for E. coli and nutrients and will address 162 impairments. Some of the recommended solutions to address the impairments include storm water controls, point source controls, manure management and habitat improvements.
Kickoff TMDL meetings were held at the following locations:
- Poseyville Community Center
- 60 N. Church St., Poseyville IN
- Jan 26th, 2006, 6:00 p.m.
- (812) 431-1517
- Wells County Government Annex
- 223 W Washington, Bluffton IN
- Jan 31st, 2006, 6:00 p.m.
- (260) 824-6470
- Logansport-Cass County Public Library
- 616 E Broadway, Logansport IN
- Feb 1st, 2006, 1:00 p.m.
- (574) 753-6383
- Grandstaff-Hentgen Community Hall
- 1241 Manchester Ave., Wabash IN
- Feb 1st, 2006, 6:00 p.m.
- (260) 563-8879
- Vigo County Public Library
- One Library Square, Terre Haute IN
- Feb 9th, 2006, 1:00 p.m.
- (812) 232-1113 (ext 282)
- Vincennes City Council Chambers
- 201 Vigo St., Vincennes IN
- Feb 9th, 2006, 6:00 p.m.
- (812) 882-7285
Draft TMDL meetings were held at the following locations:
- Huntington Public Library
- 200 W. Market Street, Huntington IN
- July 11th, 2006, 6:00 p.m.
- Ivy Tech
- 3101 S. Creasy Lane, Rms. 1112 & 1114, Lafayette IN
- July 12th, 2006, 10:00 a.m.
The 30-day public comment period for the draft Wabash River Watershed TMDL began on July 11, 2006 and ended on August 11, 2006.
U.S. EPA under Section 303(d) of the Clean Water Act approved the Wabash River Watershed TMDL report on September 22, 2006 for 162 impairments. TMDL reports identify and evaluate water quality problems in impaired water bodies and propose solutions to bring those waters into attainment with water quality standards.